• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can a TOC legally stop a passenger from travelling given that passenger's reason for travelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@Bishopstone you are not wrong, but based on my conversations with people at work, and through the forum, I don't know that many people who think we are opening up too slowly, or if I do, they've not indicated that to me. Maybe half a dozen people I know think that way at most. Almost everyone at my workplace is keen to get back to normal and is not scared.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AdamWW

Established Member
I think you’ve identified the problem.

40% think we’re opening-up far too early, and the Government/TOC messaging is woeful because ridership is going up, and there’s inadequate deterrent - too few fines for non-mask wearing, too many day trippers etc.

25% think we’re far too slow in opening-up, far too cautious, and the Government/TOC messaging is woeful because ridership is pitifully low and we’re driving people onto the roads etc.

As always, 35% just crack on, going with the flow. I envy such people.

Now: design a communications strategy that leaves the first two groups fully satisfied.

Maybe the messaging is woeful because the messengers are trying to straddle the two horses, but lets be honest: people are in a strop because what they’re hearing/seeing, isn’t what they personally want.

I suggest that balancing a pandemic, a (generally) scared populace, liberty and the urgent need to get the economy going again, is quite difficult.

Granted you won't make everyone happy, but surely inconsistent messaging isn't the answer?

Taking Wales as an example as that's what I'm familiar with, we have the government web site saying: "Can I use public transport? Yes. There are. however, fewer train services...."
But TFW Rail says "Essential travel only".

One of the first steps in any communication strategy is surely not to contradict yourself?

Supposing TFW Rail's position is how it has to be and is approved by the Welsh Government, then the government needs to support that, not contradict it.

Not only is inconsistent messaging confusing, it makes it difficult to challenge, because the government can say "What are you complaining about? You can travel" and the operator can say "Nothing to do with us guv, we're just doing what the government tells us" (This is not a hypothetical example, btw).

Hmmm. And maybe that's the explanation...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I suggest that balancing a pandemic, a (generally) scared populace, liberty and the urgent need to get the economy going again, is quite difficult.
To be fair the answer to this isn't anything to do with messaging really, it's practical minimisation of risk. The UK hasn't successfully done this, indeed many people think we've given up trying. If you can manage it, people will have the confidence organically to restore economic operations potentially up to 90% simply by letting them get on with their lives (known as the '90% economy', discussed extensively in a recent issue of the Economist, some hypothesise that getting rid of that last 10% is actually better). Then we'd not even be having this conversation. However the reasons behind that aren't a matter for this thread.

cactustwirly

Established Member
What so many don't quite seem to get on this thread is that all the advice and guidance is coming from HM Government and specifically the DfT. I wish they'd get the barrage of abuse railway workers are - because their messaging is utterly woeful and is making every single one of our lives difficult at the moment.

You've got your complaints from those about others not wearing masks, those who complain about having to wear a mask, those ignoring the seating arrangements for social distancing - I could go on.

The railway is open for those who need to use it - it is as simple as that. Sadly, the messaging from the government has been woeful throughout and that filters down. No, we can't stop you from travelling but please don't travel unless you need to - and if you do be considerate of the railway staff and fellow passengers.

I don't believe for a second it's coming from the DfT, it's too inconsistent.
You get ToCs like Northern and LNER, who tape up seats and say essential travel only.
Then you have ToCs like GWR who say nothing about essential travel only, have all the seats available to use and no compulsory reservations.

Bishopstone

Established Member
@Bishopstone you are not wrong, but based on my conversations with people at work, and through the forum, I don't know that many people who think we are opening up too slowly, or if I do, they've not indicated that to me. Maybe half a dozen people I know think that way at most. Almost everyone at my workplace is keen to get back to normal and is not scared.

My contacts broadly reflect the opinion polling, that the Government is moving too fast: but a plurality, not a majority.

Having taken 5 months away from the forum, earlier this year, I was surprised to find a broad consensus of opinion - obviously not universal - behind ‘let’s get going again’. It’s not what I’d have predicted, though it’s aligned with my own opinion.

Hopefully, this thread is becoming redundant, but I think it’s too early to dismiss the extra-cautious brigade as having called it wrong. We’ll see in September.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I was surprised to find a broad consensus of opinion - obviously not universal - behind ‘let’s get going again’. It’s not what I’d have predicted, though it’s aligned with my own opinion.
This certainly is a very loud opinion from some quarters. Whether it's broad however is another matter.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As we seem to have drifted well off the question as posed at the start of the thread its time to bring this one to a close.

Status
Not open for further replies.