• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone help identify this town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquireBev

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
Watching a British Transport Film - The North-Eastern Going Forward - the narrator mentions "textile towns in the West Riding" along with a view across one such town. It looks familiar to me, as I'm from that part of the world, but I can't pinpoint which town in particular is shown.

Here it is:

https://imgur.com/bxLnIa0

At first I wondered if it might be Dewsbury, as I know it had a fair share of mills, and has a Minster, but upon further investigation it seems Dewsbury Minster has a spire rather than a tower, and I don't think there was ever a power station so close to the town centre.

I've convinced myself it isn't Wakefield or Huddersfield either, as I can't make the viaduct, church, and power station all fit.

I know the West Riding was a lot bigger than present-day West Yorkshire, so I wondered if it might be Rotheram or Barnsley, but again I can't seem to make it fit.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Halifax came to my mind too - taken from the ridge near Southowram?

John Webb (visitor to Yorkshire when I can!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.