• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

can anyone help or advice, safety critical question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan567

Hi, I have an interview next Tuesday for a track welding position, I'm a auto body repairer and I'm trying to think about a safety critical role, I have thought about it and I think repairing accident damaged cars could be considered safety critical as if there not repaired properly or welded to the required standards the welds could break significantly weakening the vehicle and endangering the life and wellbeing of not only the driver but also other road users and pedistrians, do you think this is a good example?

Or is this a better? I have expeirence of working on industrial ovens, I see this as safety critical work as if the oven isn't set or operated correctly or left unattended for a long duration of time it could cause a fire not just endangering my life, but also my work colleagues and people in the surrounding area. Is this more of a safety critical example?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THOR8335

Dan, I would say that welding is safety critical full stop. Any repairs that are carried out on safety critical zones (suspension component securing) of the vehicle, is safety critical work. In addition to this, Welding is an extremely dangerous activity for all those welding and others in the near vicinity. Knowledge of risk/COSHH and carrying out the relevant risk/COSHH assessments relevant to the type of welding, the environment your welding in and what materials you are welding are key features to any safe systems of work. Obvious hazards that spring to mind are fire/explosion, heat injuries, arc eye, electrocution, asphyxiation and chronic heavy metal poisoning through prolonged exposure to fumes caused by inadequate ventilation.

Dan567

That is brilliant, thankyou very much Thor, Ive never thought of it like that but now you've said it,it's so obvious, welding close to fuel tanks etc, I guess because it's second nature now I preform the task without thinking about the safety checks and precautions I take before carrying out and during the task, really apprieciate that, thanks again.

falcon

The welding one sounds OK to me. Operating high voltage equipment safely is a safety critical role.

Status
Not open for further replies.