• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone ID a freight train at Preston last night?

randyrippley

Established Member
Can anyone ID this train and what it was carrying?
Freightliner set hauled by two orange class 90s passing south through Preston around 20:30 on 6th Feb
Only freight carried was around six or so white isotanks with flammable liquid labels. Tanks were spaced out along the train - at least two wagons between each. Presumably either weight restricted or to reduce fire risk
Been a long time since I saw anything like that, a whole container train dedicated to just a few hazchem tanks - any idea what the chemicals were?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
4M80 16:40 Coatbridge to Crewe Basford Hall?
Looks like the only up freight shown at that time.
I can’t answer your other question.
Class 90?
Also http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/Freightliner 90 Diagrams_December 2023_101223.pdf

Attachments

• Realtime Trains | 4M80 1640 Coatbridge F.L.T. to Crewe Bas Hall S.S.M. | 06:02:2024.pdf
    363.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Freightmaster

Established Member
Is that a suggestion as to what the traffic was, or a known fact?

If the latter, it is a very interesting and encouraging development.
It's not a new flow by any means - it has run in it's current (containerised) form for
several years and before that I believe it ran direct to Dalry rather that Coatbridge.

At the southern end, there is a dedicated trip working between Runcorn and Basford Hall
twice a week:

MARK

furnessvale

Established Member
It's not a new flow by any means - it has run in it's current (containerised) form for
several years and before that I believe it ran direct to Dalry rather that Coatbridge.

At the southern end, there is a dedicated trip working between Runcorn and Basford Hall
twice a week:

MARK
Thanks for that. After posting I did think that it may just be the flow from Runcorn. It was the separate train idea that threw me. I have been used to it being with other traffic on the main Crewe Scotland leg.

I never realised it was caustic soda. At the time the main flows were lost to road some years ago, I distinctly remember the DfT claiming it was SAFER by road because trains go through towns while motorways dont! Tell that to the residents of Stockport or Birmingham!