• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can Anyone Identify What Line These Tracks Were Part Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveP29

Afternoon all, myself and my o/h went to the Morrisons supermarket built on the land that Granton Gasworks in Edinburgh used to be.
We walked down past the perimeter of where Granton Castle used to stand.
While walking down the bank we spotted the lines that I've enclosed in a red box in the picture.
They're to the north of the remaining gasholder in Granton and I've Googled this extensively since we got home at lunchtime and I've turned up absolutely nothing.
The only thing I can think is that it may have been an alternative supply line for the gasworks that may have run along West Shore Road and joined the line coming down to Granton Harbour from the other line from the gasworks.

Anyone possibly got any information that I couldn't find please?

Thanks in advance for any info offered.

Attachments

• Granton.png
    Granton.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 143
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
They have the appearance of a training facility, so they may not be laid on the site of a former railway.

Darandio

Established Member
There was quite a bustling mineral railway there at one point. I'd agree with the above that it now looks more like a training facility.

Granton.jpg

Gloster

Established Member
The 1914 25” map does not show any lines in that specific spot, but there are various industrial lines all around it and the layout could have changed over the years. However, as said above, it does look more like a training facility.

Railsigns

Established Member
A probable explanation:
Railway Engineering City and Guilds SCQF Level 5 will give you an introduction to the railway industry and prepare you for a career in railway engineering. The course lasts 18 weeks with the first two weeks based at Edinburgh College’s Granton campus. You will then go to our shore site where you will work on our simulated track for 12 weeks and undertake practical training including Personal Track Safety (PTS) and Track Induction Course (TIC).
[Link]

Arkeeos

Google streetview appears to show signalling equipment, so I think that a testing facility is likely.

Attachments

• 951435143135.PNG
    951435143135.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.