• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone recommend a good Welsh Little Train railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Hi all,

Arriving into Wales for a week of climbing and got the Sunday free, so fancy a day out on a little train.

We've been on the Devil's Bridge and the Llanberis Lake Railway. Looked at the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland, but they don't have many services, so you end up sat on the train for long periods, I'd like to get off, take photos etc.

Can anyone recommend one or two close-together lines with varied service, or is it worth taking a shorter ride on the WH/FF, which stations are best to travel between.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I enjoy the Talyllyn Railway. You can reach by rail at Tywyn. A little further north and also with a nearby station is the Fairbourne Railway.

If they don't suit, then I'd suggest a rid eon the Festiniog between Porthmadog and Tan y Bwlch.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Talyllyn offers a nice ride out and is much cheaper than the WHR ( which i really like) but as Greenback notes if you do the Talyllyn you might also get the Fairbourne Railway in on the same day.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I do really like the WHR(C). Because it was basically a new-build, it has had to follow certain modern standards, and as such has a somewhat unique feel to it. My impression of the feel, particularly as it runs "fast" past a couple of the WHR(P) stations (so feels like an express train) and runs long trains with destination boards etc, is that it's a bit like a mini version of a 1990s scenic single-track European mainline. In my view it's really worth the ride. The FfR is very much a branch line local stopping train in feel by comparison.

If you only want to do a bit of the WHR(C), the Aberglaslyn Pass is the most scenic bit.

I really have to go back and do it again.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
So many to choose from, my first choice would be the WHR, followed by the Ffestiniog, the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway, then the V of R, the Tallylyn, Snowdon Mountain, Bala Lake and Llamberis Lake Railway.

Veteran Member
If you have to do out and back, then Porthmadog to Rhyd Ddu (when trains cross there) gives the best variety IMO. On the FR i'd go all the way. Depends where you're based and what transport you have.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm driving in from an overnight around Chester, ending the day in Betws-y-Coed, so the WHR/FR are most convenient, but I hadn't looked at the fares - not exactly a cheap day out!

Might think about the ride up to Rhyd Ddu then a few hours walking there before getting the train back.

Will probably just play it by ear on the day. Thanks all.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm driving in from an overnight around Chester, ending the day in Betws-y-Coed, so the WHR/FR are most convenient, but I hadn't looked at the fares - not exactly a cheap day out!

Might think about the ride up to Rhyd Ddu then a few hours walking there before getting the train back.

Will probably just play it by ear on the day. Thanks all.

IMHO - the best bit of the WHR is the Portmadog to Rhyd Ddu section throguh the gorge. Plenty of decent walking around the latter , (not neccesarily having to go up to the summit of Snowdon !) , and you have the excellent (if a bit pricey) Cwellyn Arms for a good lunch / drink break.

Must support the TR though as a nice day out.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I agree with what ChiefPlanner says. to be honest, I found the section beyond Rhy Ddu uninspiring. Where the WHR (C) runs along the trackbed of the old standard gauge line from Afon Wen into Caernarfon, I found it downright tedious!

I enjoyed the Welshpool and Llanfair a couple of years back. That feels continental because of the open viewing platforms at the end of the carriages, and I thought it was a pleasant rural ride through to Welshpool. I also had a nice breakfast at Llanfair Caereinion, but that's another tale :lol:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I agree with what ChiefPlanner says. to be honest, I found the section beyond Rhy Ddu uninspiring. Where the WHR (C) runs along the trackbed of the old standard gauge line from Afon Wen into Caernarfon, I found it downright tedious!

I enjoyed the Welshpool and Llanfair a couple of years back. That feels continental because of the open viewing platforms at the end of the carriages, and I thought it was a pleasant rural ride through to Welshpool. I also had a nice breakfast at Llanfair Caereinion, but that's another tale :lol:

Spot on - the WLRly does tend to get overlooked - a "contour" railway which closely follows the topgraphy , lots of wildlife and so on , plus a chance to see the summer home of William Hague. Very continental feel with the rolling stock.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway gets my vote as it's a nice line to do. No doubt it's better on a sunny day though. Done the line to Devil's Bridge but the rest of them mentioned I still need!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I had no idea about the Hague home, but there was certainly plenty of wildlife to be seen when we travelled. We had to stop for a few minutes while the driver and fireman helped to round up some stray sheep who had escaped form their field!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Waldgrun

The best trips on the W.L.L.R are the first from Llanfair and the last from Welshpool, almost like travelling on an empty stock working, very few other passengers most days!
I have seen many a time, photographers chasing the train although care does need to be taken on the A458 road Nice lay-by at Sylfaen could be of use, also Copse Lane near Castle a good spot for photos.
Word of warning, looking at the Map, it's not too great a distance to the Bala Lake Railway, if you go via Lake vyrnwy, however these are single track mountain roads complete with shear drops, not for the faint hearted!

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Ended up going on the Bala Lake Railway

19933443_117712772180835_4017233459142459392_n.jpg

Took some diversions on the way so didn't have time for a day on one of the bigger lines and this offers a neat up and back trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.