• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can anyone update on 168329 and the turbo hybrid 'experiment'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWRrrr

It's all gone a bit quiet on 168329 and modifying the 168 fleet to hybrids. Can anyone update, because I understand the second unit didn't get modified.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dooton

Yes, we did some runs to Oxford and Birmingham before Christmas and was doing decent mileage. This trip was planned and the expectation is when it returns it will be back in service earning it's keep.

CR165022

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but is there also any updates on 165004? As that's been away for years now

12LDA28C

Established Member
It's a slow burning project but it's progressing at Wabtec, Doncaster. Massively behind schedule mind.

It was, but was transferred some time ago to Loughborough. It was due back at Chiltern in October, then November, now who knows!?

Yes, we did some runs to Oxford and Birmingham before Christmas and was doing decent mileage. This trip was planned and the expectation is when it returns it will be back in service earning it's keep.

I think it's fair to say 168329 hasn't been a roaring success. It's certainly spent more time out of traffic than it has 'earning its keep'.

It's all gone a bit quiet on 168329 and modifying the 168 fleet to hybrids. Can anyone update, because I understand the second unit didn't get modified.

Thanks

The second unit got sent to Wolverton, then taken back soon afterwards as the conversion was cancelled, on grounds of cost I believe.

Chiltern have been asking for expressions of interest from ROSCOs and manufacturers to provide a fleet of battery / hybrid units to replace their current ageing fleet which is becoming increasing difficult to source parts for. Whether or not that comes to fruition is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

dooton

Still running around accumulating mileage and reliability improvements. A lot of lessons learned from 329 will go into the production model (Should they be built).

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is there any update on what's happening with 168329?

Still in service with Chiltern but as far as I know the assessment / trial period has now finished and it is just going to continue as part of the fleet for the foreseeable future. Whether it has been a success is open to debate.

Chorley Cake

It was on RTT a few times in the last ten days or so, frequently working into Marylebone as well, rather than spending its time on the Aylesbury/Princes Risborough shuttle.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It was on RTT a few times in the last ten days or so, frequently working into Marylebone as well, rather than spending its time on the Aylesbury/Princes Risborough shuttle.

It's booked to go into Marylebone in the afternoon, on the same diagram it has always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.