• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I buy a high speed supplement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

I've bought a Super Off-peak return from Tonbridge to Derby, but for various reasons now need to travel via HS1 instead.

I have an annual season ticket that covers Tonbridge to Staplehurst.

Can anyone advise my best option to obtain a valid ticket for this journey? Is there a supplement I can purchase to augment my current tickets, or will I need to refund and repurchase?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SandsofEss

My original plan was Marden - London Bridge - St Pancras - Derby.

I now need to do Marden - Ashford International - St Pancras - Derby (with a break of journey at Stratford International).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why did you buy a Tonbridge ticket?

Can you exchange (or excess) the ticket for a Marden to Derby ticket?

SandsofEss

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah, I see. Unfortunately there isn't a permitted route from Tonbridge to London via Ashford.

The staff may accept such a combination of tickets in conjunction with an HS1 supplement but you may be better off exchanging (or excessing) the ticket into one that would be valid that way.

SandsofEss

Thank you. I think a combination of Staplehurst to St Panc and London to Derby return tickets will sort me then.

Appreciate your help Yorkie.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have a season ticket from Staplehurst to Frant that covers the Marden - Tonbridge portion of the journey.

Is there a way I can excess my ticket to be one valid via HS2?

Also, a correction to my first post. I have a Super Off Peak return (this one: https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=TON&dest=DBY&rte=200&ldn=1&tkt=SSR).
Technically you could simply travel via HS1 and pay whatever excess is charged. But it is undefined what that excess would be in these circumstances, and staff may decide to simply charge you for a new single.

A Staplehurst to Derby ticket also wouldn't be valid via Ashford, although there's probably a higher likelihood of staff accepting that as valid vs a ticket from Tonbridge.

TrainSplit would be able to advise on the cheapest combination of tickets which would cover your journey.

paul1609

Established Member
Ah, I see. Unfortunately there isn't a permitted route from Tonbridge to London via Ashford.

The staff may accept such a combination of tickets in conjunction with an HS1 supplement but you may be better off exchanging (or excessing) the ticket into one that would be valid that way.
I don't think that's entirely right. A Tonbridge to London route HS1 ticket is priced and valid via HS1 and Ashford. I think a HS supplement ticket would be accepted in connection with the Derby ticket but is priced at £23.30 to take in to account the deviation. The problem will be breaking the journey at Stratford Int.
However taking into account the 2tph frequency of Tonbridge to Ashford and 2tph on HS1 I think a real journey will actually be quicker going Tonbridge to London Bridge on the Derby ticket and then using Contactless on the Jubilee Line, it will certainly be a lot cheaper. Stratford to Stratfield Int is 10 mins walk through Westfield Shopping Centre or on DLR if you so wish. You can then continue the journey via HS1 to St Pancras with Contactless if you want to pay the premium.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think that's entirely right. A Tonbridge to London route HS1 ticket is priced and valid via HS1 and Ashford.
I didn't say there wasn't a Tonbridge to London ticket routed via HS1.

Any such ticket adds HS1 to the list of permitted routes.

A Tonbridge to Derby ticket is valid via all the permitted routes from Tonbridge to London and from Derby to London.

I think in reality the staff are likely to agree to sell a supplement, though re issuing the ticket to be valid via HS1 without the requirement for a supplement may be cheaper.

paul1609

Established Member
You can buy the supplement from the TVMs. The supplement ticket works the barriers at St Pancras but like I say because of the higher frequency it will be quicker to go via London Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.