• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I claim Delay repay from more than one TOC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
I had a first class Advance ticket valid from Glasgow - Accrington.

I travelled on the 1840 from Glasgow to Preston ( booked to arrive 2056 ) it arrived 2129.

My 2144 train from Preston to Accrington was cancelled therefore I got the 2157 ended up getting to Accrington 25 minutes late.

As the journey involved Avanti and Northern am I allowed to claim delay repay from both companies ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
No. Delay repay is based on the delay to your journey as a whole. It seems that the late arrival at Preston did NOT delay your whole journey as you had a long connection time there. This means Avanti did not delay your journey.
Your Northern service was delayed by over 15 minutes and as such they delayed your journey as a whole. You should claim from Northern for a 15to29 minute delay which is 25% of the total ticket cost.

I would be interested to know how this claim goes. There’s a good chance it’ll be rejected as this appears to be the way the system is setup, conveniently.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've made a claim like that before from LNR - everything was going fine until I got to MKC, at which point a cancellation meant a 30 minute delay on the final leg to Bletchley, netting me about 20 quid back. LNR paid it without question.

dave87016

Established Member
No. Delay repay is based on the delay to your journey as a whole. It seems that the late arrival at Preston did NOT delay your whole journey as you had a long connection time there. This means Avanti did not delay your journey.
Your Northern service was delayed by over 15 minutes and as such they delayed your journey as a whole. You should claim from Northern for a 15to29 minute delay which is 25% of the total ticket cost.

I would be interested to know how this claim goes. There’s a good chance it’ll be rejected as this appears to be the way the system is setup, conveniently.

Thanks for your reply I wasn’t sure if I could claim from both as the Avanti service got into Preston 33 mins late and the northern train got me to Accrington 25 minutes late

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I travelled on the 1840 from Glasgow to Preston ( booked to arrive 2056 ) it arrived 2129.

My 2144 train from Preston to Accrington was cancelled therefore I got the 2157 ended up getting to Accrington 25 minutes late.

As the journey involved Avanti and Northern am I allowed to claim delay repay from both companies ?
So just to clarify, your original itinerary was:

1840 GLC - PRE (due to arrive 2057; actual arrival 2129)
2144 PRE - ACR​

In this case, you would claim from Northern, as Avanti did not cause a delay to your journey.
Thanks for your reply I wasn’t sure if I could claim from both as the Avanti service got into Preston 33 mins late and the northern train got me to Accrington 25 minutes late
Delay Repay applies to the journey; if your journey was to Accrington and your journey was delayed by 25 minutes, then your claim is based on a 15-29 minute delay on your journey from Glasgow to Accrington.

dave87016

Established Member
So just to clarify, your original itinerary was:

1840 GLC - PRE (due to arrive 2057; actual arrival 2129)
2144 PRE - ACR​

In this case, you would claim from Northern, as Avanti did not cause a delay to your journey.

Delay Repay applies to the journey; if your journey was to Accrington and your journey was delayed by 25 minutes, then your claim is based on a 15-29 minute delay on your journey from Glasgow to Accrington.

Thanks for your reply aswell Yorkie

greatkingrat

Established Member
The Avanti website states

You can claim Delay Repay if your journey with Avanti West Coast has been delayed by 15 minutes or more. Depending on the length of your delay, you may be entitled to compensation equivalent to all or part of your ticket cost.

Your journey with Avanti West Coast was delayed by more than 15 minutes, so according to Avanti you are eligible to claim from them, regardless of what happened later on in your overall journey. It may be that according to a strict reading of the Delay Repay rules they do not have to pay anything, but I suspect if you claimed from them it would be processed without any problem.

hkstudent

Established Member
The Avanti website states

You can claim Delay Repay if your journey with Avanti West Coast has been delayed by 15 minutes or more. Depending on the length of your delay, you may be entitled to compensation equivalent to all or part of your ticket cost.

Your journey with Avanti West Coast was delayed by more than 15 minutes, so according to Avanti you are eligible to claim from them, regardless of what happened later on in your overall journey. It may be that according to a strict reading of the Delay Repay rules they do not have to pay anything, but I suspect if you claimed from them it would be processed without any problem.
Not really, OP was meant to connect to the 2144 service to Accrington for which the previous one was 2057, where OP cannot make a valid connection. So, as long as Avanti was not delayed more than 50 minutes, OP can still make the connection and no blame can be made on Avanti if OP held one ticket.

Of course, if the journey have split tickets, especially split in Avanti and Northern section, the claim practice may differ slightly.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Avanti didn't cause a delay to the journey; Northern did.
... I would like to see if OP made a split ticket in that journey.....
They did not:

I don't think there is anything to add but if Northern refuse to pay out, please do let us know, though my advice at that stage would be to make a complaint to the Rail Ombudsman.

robbeech

Established Member
Delay Repay applies to your whole journey as one. Having cake and eating it comes to mind.
Exactly my opinion on this. You must define your journey before you start it. You can change your journey plans in practise, but you really shouldn't be adjusting what you consider your journey in order to maximise compensation both ways, this kind of thing is what is likely to see it become more difficult for ALL passengers to claim.

dave87016

Established Member
There have been great replies and I appreciate the input , just for clarification and to clear up I wasn’t asking if I could claim from both TOCS regarding the cancelled northern service but from both because the Avanti was half an hour late on arriving at Preston and the northern service twenty five mins late arriving at Accrington so my question was for Avanti from Glasgow - Preston and northern for their delay on Preston - Accrington

Anyway finally had success with my claim to Northern thanks for clearing my query up and I know my answer for future reference

Status
Not open for further replies.