• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I run this on my layout? Of course you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you own a number of 31s in Dutch livery, but have only bought a very few wagons; this will see you right. Unfortunately, the MGR train will set you back a few hundred quid, but is not compulsory.

31551 & 31569 in charge of one wagon at Willington on December 20th 1994.

2022-06-08-0001.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maximum load for a pair of Goyles! :lol:

Harsh. :lol:

Sometimes we run a loco with a brake van on its own and that looks good. Two locos and one wagon would have spectators wondering if the rest of the train had been left behind in the fiddle yard though!

Gloster

Established Member
Just put a tiny dab of medium green on the wagon label holder: you now have a wagon that was shunted aside with a defect and is now being collected for repairs. Being green carded it may still have restrictions and so has to be worked on its own.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok I couldn’t help myself.
I’ve got a pair of 31s in the wrong livery with a single (but wrong) wagon:
621B7C3B-836E-4D72-9A1D-7CBCA9389B63.jpeg

Or I can offer you the wrong locos but in the correct livery with the wrong wagon:
D46FB2C7-8EFA-4EA5-B1DE-CB5E8C21D5B4.jpeg

You’ll have to decide which works better? I’ve done my best. ;)

xotGD

Established Member
Harsh. :lol:

Sometimes we run a loco with a brake van on its own and that looks good. Two locos and one wagon would have spectators wondering if the rest of the train had been left behind in the fiddle yard though!
A 37 with a brake van was a common site in the north east. Sometimes I would see the brake van being propelled rather than being hauled. Many hours spent looking out of the bedroom window!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A 37 with a brake van was a common site in the north east. Sometimes I would see the brake van being propelled rather than being hauled. Many hours spent looking out of the bedroom window!

Lovely stuff. I’ve got a wee man in mine. He’s called Fred…

Ok I couldn’t help myself.
I’ve got a pair of 31s in the wrong livery with a single (but wrong) wagon:
View attachment 115904

Or I can offer you the wrong locos but in the correct livery with the wrong wagon:
View attachment 115903

You’ll have to decide which works better? I’ve done my best. ;)

Excellent photos. I love the lineside vegetation. Those bushes near the road bridge look just like flowering hawthorn, or similar. I like the attention to detail with the fence posts at varying angles.

RichJF

Giving me the urge to acquire a 2nd loco to pose with my Lima Scottie class 26 & its single wagon now!

Iskra

Established Member
Giving me the urge to acquire a 2nd loco to pose with my Lima Scottie class 26 & its single wagon now!
Any chance of a photo? My first ever loco was a Lima Scottie Class 26 in a Motorail Train set.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent photos. I love the lineside vegetation. Those bushes near the road bridge look just like flowering hawthorn, or similar. I like the attention to detail with the fence posts at varying angles.

Thanks for that @Madge Wildfire. There’s a thread about the layout here if you’re interested in reading a bit more about it:

That’s a nice looking machine, great livery too
They just looked brilliant in that livery.

Talking about strange short trains, the remaining two coaches of the Exeter spare set in the early 1990s often threw up some strange scenes like this one:

I also saw those two coaches behind a pair of 31s (one in banger blue and one in original Railfreight) on the way to Honiton from Exeter one evening (obviously a very hastily put together combination that one).

Again I couldn’t resist: ;)
80818172-131B-4A5E-8761-2EF879AC1013.jpeg

That’s a train that just looks completely wrong!

Iskra

Established Member
Those odd workings are a modellers dream.

Liking the LL 31 there (and the whole formation really!).

You may have bought a job lot of plastic kits cheap on Ebay, only to find they are all brake tenders. No worries, just get a 37 to pull them all....

37220 + bk tenders CF 8ː78.jpg

ungreat

What can I put this on lol

Attachments

• 20200814_172552.jpg
    20200814_172552.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
I'm not sure your question is clear. Do you mean which kinds of trains would this locomotive have pulled?

If that is the case, the answer is long trains of coal, or empty wagons. 47993 was an early withdrawal and spent most of the time allocated to Hasland, with about 18 months at Toton during 1953/4. They would be seen mainly on the Midland mainline hauling coal trains to London, although they occasionally appeared at Peterborough, and a few turned up at York from time to time.

I have even seen reports that they visited Jackson's sidings on the line east of Saxby, where ironstone trains came off the Market Overton branch, although I have no idea how regular this working became.

If you need a 1 wagon train, just add a brake van.

Last edited:
For those with a spare BR blue class 20 and a Mk2 air-con coach, you will need to model York in the mid-80s. 20189 passes the station in 1985 with what looks like E5810 in tow.

2022-07-11-0009.jpg

RichJF

A modern take on the original post that popped up on my Instagram feed (not my pic)...

Capture.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.