• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can I use my 16-25 railcard discounted ticket with a 26-30 railcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsingFax

Hi,

I have an open return ticket which I purchased using my 16-25 railcard. My 16-25 railcard expires prior to when I plan to make the return journey.

Will I be able to use this ticket if I purchase a 26-30 railcard? I am 26 now and am no longer able to purchase a 16-25 railcard.

Many thanks in advance,
U.F.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mangyiscute

Established Member
If you try to travel with this ticket and the incorrect railcard, a ticket inspector could pull you up on it and make you purchase a new full price ticket. I would recommend going to a ticket office and asking them if they can exchange the ticket for one with the new railcard.

scrapy

Established Member
If you try to travel with this ticket and the incorrect railcard, a ticket inspector could pull you up on it and make you purchase a new full price ticket. I would recommend going to a ticket office and asking them if they can exchange the ticket for one with the new railcard.
You could also be charged a penalty fare* or reported for prosecution, even if the price of the ticket is the same**

* If you're traveling from a penalty fare station with a TOC that charges penalty fares.
** Not all 16-25 and 26-30 Railcard fares are the same as minimum fare rules apply on 26-30 railcard all year but not on 16-25 railcard in July and August. There are a few open returns under the £12 minimum. If the 16-25 fare is cheaper than the 26-30 fare then you are likely to be prosecuted if caught travelling at a cheaper fare, although you can still be prosecuted if the fare is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.