• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can LU stations sell travel cards with out boundary origins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoothorn

My wife wanted to buy an all zones travel card from Hertford East with a network railcard. The ticket machines at HFE were out of order, in one case and in the other rejecting credit cards and notes. So she tried to buy the ticket at Seven Sisters before changing to the Victoria Line. The ticket office there was happy to sell an all zones travel card with the railcard discount but said they could not sell a HFE to all zones travel card.
Was the ticket office at Seven Sisters correct in this as it serves NR as well as LU trains?

She ended up having to buy an HFE to Boundary Z6 at Paddington NR ticket Office while changing there. The total extra cost was only 10p but why should the passenger have to visit two ticket offices to cover their journey? In this case time was not a problem, but in other circumstances it could be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Be3G

Established Member
I suspect that TfL ticket offices can't sell outboundary travelcards because the origin of such a ticket wouldn't be in TfL's territory, so it's probably something their machines aren't set up to do.

However, what the staff member should have been able to offer your wife was a single from Boundary Zone 6 to Hertford East, with Network Railcard discount, which would have allowed your wife to get home again. It requires some fiddling with paper fares tables though, so whether or not the clerk was aware it could be done (or could be bothered to do it) is another matter entirely.

transmanche

Established Member
Not quite the same as a one-day Travelcard perhaps, but back in 1995 Wood Green tube station managed to sell me one of these...

Ralph Ayres

I understand that LU ticket offices can sell Day Travelcards covering stations outside the zones (though only to cover a situation like this where you've arrived from outside the zones having been unable to bu a ticket, not to start a journey heading outwards). It was probably the additional complication of the Railcard discount that flumoxed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.