• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can someone please explain to me East Midlands Railways plan?

Do you like EMR's plan to segregate services I to Intercity, Regional and Electrical?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAO

From what I can understand, East Midlands Railway wants to create 3 service groups:

1. EMR Intercity
2. EMR Regional
3. EMR Electrical

Why are they doing this. Why can't they keep all services out of London St Pancras International intercity. Surely it provides more comfort for passengers than having a commuter style train?
Also if you have details on what rolling stock they want to use on these in the short-term and long term. Some people are saying Class 379, some people are saying Class 170 and some people are saying Class 360. I am very confused.

Will EMR Intercity serve Luton (Town) and Bedford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Class 360s provide more capacity for what are relatively short journeys (where "comfort" is relatively unimportant), and free up space for genuine Intercity passengers on services through Leicester

Aictos

Established Member
From what I can understand, East Midlands Railway wants to create 3 service groups:

1. EMR Intercity
2. EMR Regional
3. EMR Electrical

Why are they doing this. Why can't they keep all services out of London St Pancras International intercity. Surely it provides more comfort for passengers than having a commuter style train?
Also if you have details on what rolling stock they want to use on these in the short-term and long term. Some people are saying Class 379, some people are saying Class 170 and some people are saying Class 360. I am very confused.

Will EMR Intercity serve Luton (Town) and Bedford?

Point 1, to take full advantage of the Electrification of the Midland Mainline to Corby they are relaunching the Corby services as EMR Electrics which is what BR did when they electrified the East Coast Main Line from Kings Cross renaming the stopping services as Great Northern Electrics and indeed even Northern did it a few years ago when they electrified the Liverpool to Manchester route and used cascaded Class 319s on the route calling it Northern Electrics I believe.

Point 2, Corby is no more further from London then the likes of Kings Lynn or Peterborough which are served by commuter services (as well as IC services) so don't see the issue however you are forgetting that the service not only is seeing a service increase from a hourly service to a half hourly service all day (except maybe Sundays) but the trains will be much longer meaning far more seats will be available which is needed for the planned housing increases between Corby and Bedford. Indeed the trains will go from a hourly 4/5 coach train to a half hourly 12 coach train.

Point 3, It has already been explained by EMR that the fleet that will be operating the EMR Electrics will be former Greater Anglia Class 360s both on their website and on here numerous times and that the fleet will be put into service in ex Greater Anglia condition HOWEVER they will be refurbished with a more IC interior which will take time and won't be ready for Day 1 hence the service will start with the fleet with 2+3 seating but that is only temporarily until they get refurbished with 2+2 seating, wifi etc...

Point 4, EMR Electrics won't serve Luton Airport Parkway, Luton or Bedford in order to speed up the services to Nottingham and Sheffield however the plan is that those places do get the half hourly Corby service in which you connect at Kettering onto the IC services.

DDB

Point 1, to take full advantage of the Electrification of the Midland Mainline to Corby they are relaunching the Corby services as EMR Electrics which is what BR did when they electrified the East Coast Main Line from Kings Cross renaming the stopping services as Great Northern Electrics and indeed even Northern did it a few years ago when they electrified the Liverpool to Manchester route and used cascaded Class 319s on the route calling it Northern Electrics I believe.

Point 2, Corby is no more further from London then the likes of Kings Lynn or Peterborough which are served by commuter services (as well as IC services) so don't see the issue however you are forgetting that the service not only is seeing a service increase from a hourly service to a half hourly service all day (except maybe Sundays) but the trains will be much longer meaning far more seats will be available which is needed for the planned housing increases between Corby and Bedford. Indeed the trains will go from a hourly 4/5 coach train to a half hourly 12 coach train.

Point 3, It has already been explained by EMR that the fleet that will be operating the EMR Electrics will be former Greater Anglia Class 360s both on their website and on here numerous times and that the fleet will be put into service in ex Greater Anglia condition HOWEVER they will be refurbished with a more IC interior which will take time and won't be ready for Day 1 hence the service will start with the fleet with 2+3 seating but that is only temporarily until they get refurbished with 2+2 seating, wifi etc...

Point 4, EMR Electrics won't serve Luton Airport Parkway, Luton or Bedford in order to speed up the services to Nottingham and Sheffield however the plan is that wethose places do get the half hourly Corby service in which you connect at Kettering onto the IC services.
You mean EMR mainline in point 4.

To add to your post the electric service is planned to have a dedicated platform at StP with I guessing a fair amount of Luton Airport branding to help tourists. Luton Airport Parkway will be the first stop for the EMR electrics out of London.

For the OP there are more details in the Oct2019 Modern Railways if you have access or see the recent timetable consultation document for some more details attached below.

Attachments

• emr_december_2020_stakeholder_document_v23 (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.