• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can the ECML cope with warm weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystock22

I've noticed that there seems to be a number of infrastructure issues with the ECML as soon as there is some warm weather.

Large number of cancellations and delays on LNER, Great Northern and Thameslink on the ECML today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

choochoochoo

Established Member
Was the points issue on the GN part of the route specifically temperature related ?

I also heard the earlier issue on the Hertford branch was due to a vulnerable person on or near the line. Maybe some of the disruption is knock on from that ?

dk1

Veteran Member
Probably not. I think we are all expecting a varying degree of disruption over the entire network over the next week.

Established Member
I've noticed that there seems to be a number of infrastructure issues with the ECML as soon as there is some warm weather.

Large number of cancellations and delays on LNER, Great Northern and Thameslink on the ECML today.
Vast majority or delays and cancellations today, were due to a fatality closing the line between Darlington and Newcastle from 0200 until 1045.

There was then a points failure at Stevenage, points required clamping,
This was compounded by one service having a spad due to signal reversion due to the point issues.

Not sure either of the above can be put down to the weather.

What makes you think todays issues on Ecml are due to weather?

AndrewE

Established Member
What makes you think todays issues on Ecml are due to weather?
The first really hot day of the year? Lots of point failures follow a step-change in temperature. It's understandable (given that things expand with heat) but a bit vexing that it doesn't seem to be possible to have stuff set up to cope with both heat and cold...

choochoochoo

Established Member
Probably not. I think we are all expecting a varying degree of disruption over the entire network over the next week.
Agreed. Think next week on the hotter days we may see chewing gum OHLE.

Oh and for those on the Hertford branch there’ll be the speed restriction on the Wood Green flyover !!

Established Member
The first really hot day of the year? Lots of point failures follow a step-change in temperature. It's understandable (given that things expand with heat) but a bit vexing that it doesn't seem to be possible to have stuff set up to cope with both heat and cold...
Lots of point failures? Where?
And how many more compared a normal standard day on the Ecml?

Ps, I’ve been working on the Ecml route today so would be really curious to know where the ‘lots of points failures’ have been?

There has been Stevenage, an Insulated Block Joint between Alnmouth and Berwick which needs work doing this weekend? So where are all the other points issues?

Darandio

Established Member
And it's by no means the first really hot day of the year. Was as hot for a period in May and was slightly hotter for a period in June.

AndrewE

Established Member
Lots of point failures? Where?
And how many more compared a normal standard day on the Ecml?

Ps, I’ve been working on the Ecml route today so would be really curious to know where the ‘lots of points failures’ have been?

There has been Stevenage, an Insulated Block Joint between Alnmouth and Berwick which needs work doing this weekend? So where are all the other points issues?
Post #2 mentioned a points issue... It's not unknown.

Established Member
Post #2 mentioned a points issue... It's not unknown.
The opening post states a large number of infrastructure issues are caused by weather and then implies today's delays are due to this?

One points issue yes at Stevenage.

But 99% of todays issues are due to fatality.

Taunton

Established Member
"Really hot"? The maximum at a reliable weather site in north London was 28.5C. It's ludicrous to say that should be expected to give heat-related problems. I suggest to start looking first at specifications and maintenance.

Established Member
"Really hot"? The maximum at a reliable weather site in north London was 28.5C. It's ludicrous to say that should be expected to give heat-related problems. I suggest to start looking first at specifications and maintenance.
This whole post is pointless as the OP is suggesting todays delays on Ecml are due to weather related issues.
When they are not. Fatality been the main cause with one points failure at Stevenage which caused a spad.

Status
Not open for further replies.