• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can UK public buses do real-time tracking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
I was talking about tracking buses in real time rather than schedule data, journey planning or the quality of data for other modes.

As ag51ruk says, Google take the schedule data from Traveline not direct from operators. How does the data quality compare between operators own sites, Traveline and Google Maps?
It's variable. I like the Google Maps interface on the face of it, I've just been stung a few too many times on the schedule data, admittedly more abroad than here.

Real time data I'm really wary of viewing on a unified platform. This is partly because different systems involved and whether the operators just shove in estimates when they have no data means you have to think about it in local terms. It's also partly because I'm a bit sick of Californian tech companies trying to insert themselves into every tiny local aspect of our lives.

I'm naturally a bit obsessive about underlying systems thought, and I suspect that normal people may be just as happy with the Google view.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
In London, just use citymapper, Google Maps, or the black boxes at the bus stops
I usually find the Next Bus Display in London reliable but a couple of times I have found problems with them. This has involved buses 'disappearing' as the display cycles round - and more than one on each occasion. On each occasion the stop I was waiting at was (very) near the start of the journey. Could it be that the system assumes that journeys will start on time so '3 min' is the timetabled arrival time simply because the journey hasn't started yet (for stops at the very start of the journey) or maybe its based on the inward journey time?

When I lived in the West Midlands I know that buses disappeared from the Next Bus Displays on routes like the Outer Circle because the buses went out of service while they caught up with the timetabled times but you saw them speeding by (good if you were in the bus, bad if you were waiting), this did not obviously happen in London.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I usually find the Next Bus Display in London reliable but a couple of times I have found problems with them. This has involved buses 'disappearing' as the display cycles round - and more than one on each occasion. On each occasion the stop I was waiting at was (very) near the start of the journey. Could it be that the system assumes that journeys will start on time so '3 min' is the timetabled arrival time simply because the journey hasn't started yet (for stops at the very start of the journey) or maybe its based on the inward journey time?

When I lived in the West Midlands I know that buses disappeared from the Next Bus Displays on routes like the Outer Circle because the buses went out of service while they caught up with the timetabled times but you saw them speeding by (good if you were in the bus, bad if you were waiting), this did not obviously happen in London.

The system assumes buses will start on time if the previous trip by that bus was on time or within 2 minutes of the departure time of that bus. Otherwise it assumes the bus will leave 2 minutes after arriving.

Typhoon

Established Member
The system assumes buses will start on time if the previous trip by that bus was on time or within 2 minutes of the departure time of that bus. Otherwise it assumes the bus will leave 2 minutes after arriving.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.