• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can you use the ENCTS on TfL and the Windsor Express 702?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Since my friend has not long got an English National Concessionary Travel Scheme pass we've now been thinking of using the bus into London (although I'd have to pay) but I thought you couldn't use it on TfL buses unless you were a London resident but having a look on the TfL website, it seems you can use it around London (buses only)?

Also I assume you can use it on Reading Buses Windsor Express 702 from Windsor to London Victoria? I assume it's not some premium service that doesn't accept it?

Wouldn't use the bus from the start in Wiltshire as would take all day but would like to drive to Windsor then he can get a free ride on the 702 into London if that's possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Definitely  can use ENCTS on TfL bus services, although passes issued outside London won't scan on the ticket machines, so you just have to show the driver.

ajs

You can use the ENCTS pass on TFL buses in London. A common problem with non London passes is that they are not recognised by the ticket machine and the bus driver just waves or nods you on.If the TFL inspectors board the bus and do a ticket check then they seem to be well aware that the pass has not been read by the machine and just carry on checking other passengers tickets and passes.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Out of interest, why don't London bus ticket machines recognise ENCTS passes?

I would have thought the resulting statistics would be of interest to TfL.

Roger1973

Definitely  can use ENCTS on TfL bus services, although passes issued outside London won't scan on the ticket machines, so you just have to show the driver.

Yes.

Occasionally, new drivers don't understand this and won't allow travel. They are wrong, but not sure there's a lot you can do other than either pay with oyster / contactless and argue about it with customer services later, or wait and get a different bus.

There's reference to it on this TFL page.

Incidentally, I think I am right in saying that while Croydon tram is for many purposes regarded as 'bus' for TFL fares, non London concessionary passes are not valid on it, and I am quite sure they are not valid on things like the Underground, DLR, TFL Rail or suburban railways. (London resident 'freedom passes' are, but this is restricted to London residents.)

As regards the London Line 702, the only caution I'd suggest is that I'm not sure ENTCS passes are valid outside the statutory hours (i.e. before 0930 or after 2300 on weekdays) - if you are intending to travel outside those times, may be worth e-mailing Reading Buses (their website here) to check.

One other possible thought - I don't know how easy or how expensive it is to park in Windsor even outside the main tourist season, or where in Wiltshire you're starting from, but there is also Reading Buses / Thames Valley 703 from Bracknell to Heathrow via Windsor and Slough, one option might be to park in Bracknell, catch a 703 for the first bit of your journey and change buses and see the sights in Slough. Or in Windsor of course.

There are a handful of journeys on the 702 that run through from Reading and Bracknell in the early morning (probably earlier than you want to start, although there's one at 0910 ex Reading / 0930 ex Bracknell at weekends) and back in the evening (most if not all the buses that do 702 are based in Reading.)

Out of interest, why don't London bus ticket machines recognise ENCTS passes?

I would have thought the resulting statistics would be of interest to TfL.

My understanding is that the technology round Oyster Card and TFL's ticket machines was developed before ENCTS, and doesn't meet the national standards that developed a bit later. In theory, I think drivers are supposed to make a button press manual entry to the ticket machine (also if they are shown a paper travelcard) but in practice (I have used the latter but not the former) it's variable.

PeterC

Established Member
Yes.

Occasionally, new drivers don't understand this and won't allow travel. They are wrong, but not sure there's a lot you can do other than either pay with oyster / contactless and argue about it with customer services later, or wait and get a different bus.

There's reference to it on this TFL page.

Incidentally, I think I am right in saying that while Croydon tram is for many purposes regarded as 'bus' for TFL fares, non London concessionary passes are not valid on it, and I am quite sure they are not valid on things like the Underground, DLR, TFL Rail or suburban railways. (London resident 'freedom passes' are, but this is restricted to London residents.)

My understanding is that the technology round Oyster Card and TFL's ticket machines was developed before ENCTS, and doesn't meet the national standards that developed a bit later. In theory, I think drivers are supposed to make a button press manual entry to the ticket machine (also if they are shown a paper travelcard) but in practice (I have used the latter but not the former) it's variable.
I think the misunderstanding over validity arises over fact that Freedom Passes can be used on tube trains and trams.

I have never had my ENCTS pass queried. I just walk on confidently while holding it up for the driver to see.

If you start behaving as if you are nervous and aren't sure about the pass being valid i suppose that it might prompt an inexperienced and poorly trained driver to think that it isn't.

Roger1973

If you start behaving as if you are nervous and aren't sure about the pass being valid i suppose that it might prompt an inexperienced and poorly trained driver to think that it isn't.

There may be something in that - there are times when an air of authority can over-ride other factors...

It also can perhaps be because if pass-holder presents it to the machine first and 'machine says no' then driver says no, but if you just show it to the driver, it may seem more legitimate.

I have an idea that London passes didn't work on all systems outside London when the scheme went national, and aged parent seemed to get drivers complaining because if she showed the pass she was told to beep it on the machine and vice versa...

Statto

Established Member
I used my Merseytravel issued ENCTS pass when i was in London last summer, i did get one query by a driver as to whether it was valid [it was valid] as they don't work the readers, but was waved on the bus after the driver took a closer look at my pass.

blackfive460

I'm not sure ENTCS passes are valid outside the statutory hours (i.e. before 0930 or after 2300 on weekdays)
Although I've not seen anything official, my understanding is that ENTCS passes are valid at any time and I've often used mine before 09.30. That's not to say it definitely is valid, it may just be that the drivers I've encountered don't know or don't care!

Edit:
Found the correct gen:

You can use an English National Concessionary Pass on London buses from 09:00, Monday to Friday. You can use the pass anytime on weekends and bank holidays.

ChrisC

Established Member
That‘s useful to know that an ENCTS pass can be used on London buses from 0900. I’ve only been in London once since I got my pass and just presumed it was 0930 as it is in most other areas.

Simon75

On Moderation
I've used mine on night buses before.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As the original question has been answered, we'll draw this thread to a close. Thanks to all who replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.