• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can't focus camera through the viewfinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Oh dear, I think I'm going to look a real camera novice asking this question but here goes:

I have a Sony digital camera which my wife bought me from Jessop's in Oxford in 2012 (the shop has since closed). I think it's a Sony HX200V.

My problem is that I can no longer get it to focus the image seen through the viewfinder. I can still focus if I use the large screen (what is the proper name?) on the back of the camera instead of looking through the viewfinder. Pictures taken are sharp even if the view through the viewfinder isn't.

With Spring almost here and sunlight levels increasing at last, I know from past experience that using the viewfinder will become more important - using the large screen is almost impossible in direct summer sun, which is why we made sure we bought a camera with a viewfinder in the first place.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be with my viewfinder: is it broken or have I pressed a button somewhere that I shouldn't have?

There is still a Jessop's open in Reading, although we no longer have the receipt anyway. Would this be a good place to take it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Oh dear, I think I'm going to look a real camera novice asking this question but here goes:

I have a Sony digital camera which my wife bought me from Jessop's in Oxford in 2012 (the shop has since closed). I think it's a Sony HX200V.

My problem is that I can no longer get it to focus the image seen through the viewfinder. I can still focus if I use the large screen (what is the proper name?) on the back of the camera instead of looking through the viewfinder. Pictures taken are sharp even if the view through the viewfinder isn't.

With Spring almost here and sunlight levels increasing at last, I know from past experience that using the viewfinder will become more important - using the large screen is almost impossible in direct summer sun, which is why we made sure we bought a camera with a viewfinder in the first place.

Anyone have any idea what the problem may be with my viewfinder: is it broken or have I pressed a button somewhere that I shouldn't have?

There is still a Jessop's open in Reading, although we no longer have the receipt anyway. Would this be a good place to take it?

Is there not a small dial visible next/close to the viewfinder? It's called a diopter adjuster, it should have a scale marked from + to - ?

nag67

Looking at Google images of that camera, there appears to be a rotary dial on the side of the viewfinder - the manual refers to it as 'finder adjustment dial'. My guess would be that it should adjust the focus of the viewfinder. Have you tried adjusting that?

davetheguard

Established Member
You guys are just brilliant, thank you!

There's no + to - markings on this small plastic dial, and it's so well camouflaged (the same colour and set flat and flush with the rest of the camera) that I must admit I'd never even noticed it before. That's my excuse anyway.

So, problem solved. This has saved me the cost of a cheap day return to Reading to visit Jessop's shop; on the other hand I might have a trip on the train to Reading for a nice pint to celebrate my camera fully working again!

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.