• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can't link (old) Oyster card with account

Status
Not open for further replies.

StKeverne1497

We visited London back in july 2019 and I bought my eldest - then 17 - an Oyster card at Paddington, onto which his 16-25 railcard was added. We were only in London for two days and without internet connectivity we didn't get around to creating an account. We are revisiting London this year and I thought it would be a good time to create an account and attach the card. Eldest's 16-25 has now expired and he hasn't replaced it as he works for TfW so gets free local travel anyway, so I guess we'll have to remove that discount, which was something I was hoping to do online before we travelled. However, after creating the account (in his name) and typing in the card number and giving the answer to the security question, I got the result in the attached (redacted) screenshot.

I tried ringing the number and they said "can't do that for you, you have to do it online". Now, when we bought the card we were asked for a security passphrase, which was written down and which we have kept. I used that phrase, and I also tried the phrase I had to create when setting up the account. Neither worked. What am I doing wrong?

ScreenshotOyster-c.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
We visited London back in july 2019 and I bought my eldest - then 17 - an Oyster card at Paddington, onto which his 16-25 railcard was added. We were only in London for two days and without internet connectivity we didn't get around to creating an account. We are revisiting London this year and I thought it would be a good time to create an account and attach the card. Eldest's 16-25 has now expired and he hasn't replaced it as he works for TfW so gets free local travel anyway, so I guess we'll have to remove that discount, which was something I was hoping to do online before we travelled. However, after creating the account (in his name) and typing in the card number and giving the answer to the security question, I got the result in the attached (redacted) screenshot.

I tried ringing the number and they said "can't do that for you, you have to do it online". Now, when we bought the card we were asked for a security passphrase, which was written down and which we have kept. I used that phrase, and I also tried the phrase I had to create when setting up the account. Neither worked. What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 115274
Can't help with the technical issue but just for reference - any discount added to an Oyster card will always have an expiry date set based on the expiry of the Railcard/pass etc. that it's based on. So there's no need to remove the Railcard discount if the Railcard has already expired - and in any case, you cannot add or remove discounts online, it has to be done "in person".

Status
Not open for further replies.