• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Can't text 61016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
My complaint is not so much about the charge itself, it's that the BTP clearly very much want people to contact them. The posters, the automated announcements, the manual announcements. It's fairly pervasive and apparently extremely important that I'm constantly alert for anything suspicious of out of place. I must be vigilant at all times and be on a hair trigger to contact the BTP immediately.

And yet they don't want people to contact them enough to use a free short code. Like, make up your mind.
The BTP aren't making ontrain announcements that's the TOC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
And yet they don't want people to contact them enough to use a free short code. Like, make up your mind.
If BTP had the power to make the number free, I'm sure they would. It's down to the networks, unless the government chooses to intervene (aa happened with 101).

jfowkes

The BTP aren't making ontrain announcements that's the TOC.
Presumably at the behest of the BTP? They're not getting their train managers to say these things for no reason.
If BTP had the power to make the number free, I'm sure they would. It's down to the networks, unless the government chooses to intervene (aa happened with 101).
OK, so I'm not angry at the government, fine. That's nothing new. It's not down to the networks though. Someone chose to use a number that might have charges applied. They could have chosen a free-to-end-user number and they didn't.

Whoever is responsible, my point is that the urgency and stridency of the marketing of the service is completely at odds with charging for it, even a small amount.

skyhigh

Established Member
OK, so I'm not angry at the government, fine. That's nothing new. It's not down to the networks though. Someone chose to use a number that might have charges applied. They could have chosen a free-to-end-user number and they didn't.
Is there such a thing as a shortcode number which is free? If it's a balance between a full-length 07- number that most people won't be able to remember, or a 6 digit number that a few people won't be able to access, which is the better option?

jfowkes

Is there such a thing as a shortcode number which is free? If it's a balance between a full-length 07- number that most people won't be able to remember, or a 6 digit number that a few people won't be able to access, which is the better option?
From what I can tell, FTEU or toll-free shortcodes do seem to be a thing.
Shortcodes that are charged at standard network rate (and therefore included in bundles rather than being premium) are certainly a thing.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Surely the issue here is WONT pay to text BTP rather than CANT text.
To make it easy to report problems? I won't bother ringing them on their non-emergency line to report an issue but I'll happily text them as that's easier and more convenient for me. I'm not quite sure what the issue is with them having multiple ways of reporting issues? If you don't want to use it no-one is forcing you to and you can email them or ring them on their non-emergency number. Everyone's happy then as they have ways of reaching them that work best in their situation?
The issue is this boards hatred of the "see it, say it, sorted" message.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The issue is this boards hatred of the "see it, say it, sorted" message.
I hate those ruddy messages as well (it's a good jingle just horrifically overused) but I know a good thing when I see it and this text message option is a good thing!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Shortcodes that are charged at standard network rate (and therefore included in bundles rather than being premium) are certainly a thing.

That's exactly what this is! Some people just won't believe it's not premium simply because it charges a few people a few pence. Not all bundles include it, depends on provider and bundle.

sor

there's a "checker" offered by the regulator but it doesn't make absolutely clear if 61016 has a charge levied by the BTP (or by PageOne aka Capita, who operate the service). It does for a number that absolutely is premium in every sense of the word, eg 81215 for absolute radio where it says that the initial text is standard rate and they will send a premium text in response where necessary to enter a competition

I was going to post something along these lines, you've done it in a far more articulate and complete manner than I would have!

The term "premium rate" will set alarm bells off for people of a certain age who remember Anne Robinson on Watchdog. Quite often there'd be a story about some service advertised in children's comics or computer gaming magazines which had an 0898 number (more associated with services for a more er... 'mature' audience) and parents being astonished by their 3-4-figure phone bill!

Basically it's a glitch due to shortcodes. If my network was attempting to hand-hold me in such a manner by preventing me from using 61016 I'd be looking to switch providers at the earliest opportunity.

There's a similar falsehood around "local rate" and "national rate" numbers, which correspond to when BT used to charge for a call based on its distance, and those numbers provided a flat rate charge no matter where you were. BT hasn't charged that way since the mid 2000s (and many had already moved to tariffs that didn't) and so it actually cost more to call those numbers than to call a landline hundreds of miles away. Didn't stop them being advertised that way for far too long, it didn't stop everyone from your local doctor's surgery to a national company using them, and people being ripped off when calling them (with some of the money going to the company that's put you in a queue!)

Sanity restored when the 03 numbers were created, which must be treated the same as any call to a landline & the government directed public sector users to switch to them.

Last edited:

AngusH

I've been trying to work out today exactly what I would be charged if I should need to text this number.

Currently I haven't found anything from Three other than this:

Data Packs and Data Add-ons cannot be used for the following purposes:

• Premium rate calls and messages (including text shortcode messages)

From O2 I get the following:

Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 09.53.20.png

edit:
02 PAYG
Your inclusive texts allowance cannot be used for:
  • Texts sent to 08, 05 and 07 service numbers. Charges for texts to these numbers can be viewed at o2.co.uk/servicenumbers
  • Texts sent to premium rate numbers. Charges for texts to these numbers can be viewed at o2.co.uk/premium

My View is that this is a premium rate text because two networks (so far) describe it as such.

That doesn't mean anything in particular about the price charged.

Last edited:

Basher

On a Saturday in October I was on York railway station, and watched a drunken man almost fall on the track. He then went and exposed himself. I used the 61016 number to report and nobody appeared to sort this guy out. About an hour later I spoke to an railway police officer who said he had not had any communication from wherever (space). Uh whats the point. Well today I received my mobile telephone bill, and there is a charge for a premium service (£0.13 + vat). Whats that for scratching my head, on checking it was my text to the police. So that's it, no more me reporting anything, just watch.

Jamiescott1

I went to report some beggars on a train using the text number.
Got a notification it would cost me so I didn't bother

bramling

Veteran Member
On a Saturday in October I was on York railway station, and watched a drunken man almost fall on the track. He then went and exposed himself. I used the 61016 number to report and nobody appeared to sort this guy out. About an hour later I spoke to an railway police officer who said he had not had any communication from wherever (space). Uh whats the point. Well today I received my mobile telephone bill, and there is a charge for a premium service (£0.13 + vat). Whats that for scratching my head, on checking it was my text to the police. So that's it, no more me reporting anything, just watch.

The whole 61016 thing feels like more of the constant climate of fear and “snitch your neighbour” atmosphere which our government seems to want to keep us in.

BTP simply don’t have the resources to “sort” minor stuff. Indeed they struggle enough with major issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.