• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Canterbury-Dundee super off-peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks87

Established Member
I've got a friend who's currently in Canterbury and is looking for advice about his trip home to Dundee tomorrow.

Basically, he as (the return portion of) a super off-peak return that's +Any Permitted and has a reservation on the 10.00 from King's Cross to Dundee (KGX-DEE). That raised alarm bells with me, given that a 10am departure from KGX means peak travel from Canterbury. He says he's scheduled to get the 08.25 from Canterbury West (CBW).

So my question (from the alarm bells) is - has he been sold the right ticket? Does "super off-peak" refer to the core of his journey (i.e. KGX-DEE), or will he have a problem leaving CBW?

And his question (assuming he can travel from CBW peak) is - can he catch an earlier train?

Thanks in advance (from both of us!).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
given that a 10am departure from KGX means peak travel from Canterbury.
There is no restriction whatsoever from Canterbury to London on this ticket.
So my question (from the alarm bells) is - has he been sold the right ticket?
Yes
Does "super off-peak" refer to the core of his journey (i.e. KGX-DEE)
Restrictions apply between KGX & DEE, yes.
or will he have a problem leaving CBW?
If he does have a problem he should ask the staff member to look up the ticket restriction, and ask them to read what it says about the 'Network area' rule. If problems persist, gather evidence to make a complaint.

SET are not in my good books at the moment, so I would gladly assist with any complaint.
And his question (assuming he can travel from CBW peak) is - can he catch an earlier train?
Yes

http://brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=0428&dest=DEE&rlc= &rte=0&ldn=1&tkt=SSR

Relevant parts:
OUTWARD TRAVEL NORTHBOUND - By
any train scheduled to DEPART:

London Terminals (except as
shown below) Before 0300,
between 0906 and 1459
inclusive
& at or after
1859. Also allowed at or after
1815 on Fridays.

NETWORK AREA:
The 'Network area' is defined
as the area in which the
Network railcard is valid. For
details, Network Railcard map.

Super Off-Peak tickets issued
for journeys commencing within
the Network Area to
destinations outside the
Network Area with travel via
London are valid by any train
to London
to connect with
trains from London.

marks87

Established Member
Perfect, thanks.

If it gets to the point where the RPI(?) doesn't listen, or my friend just doesn't want to argue, what's the best course of action there and then? Take whatever he's given (a penalty fare?), but decline to pay it on the spot, then pick things up when he gets home?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perfect, thanks.

If it gets to the point where the RPI(?) doesn't listen, or my friend just doesn't want to argue, what's the best course of action there and then? Take whatever he's given (a penalty fare?), but decline to pay it on the spot, then pick things up when he gets home?
I would go along with whatever incorrect action they do, as some of them can get extremely nasty if you don't.

It is true that SET has been caught red-handed, incorrectly and contrary to the Penalty Fare legislation, charging passengers Penalty Fares for travelling on a time restricted ticket at a restricted time, and if they do that in this case, I will be more than happy to put you and your friend in touch with some people who would be most interested to hear about such an incident (I would suggest contacting Mark Reckless MP as he has been looking into SET incorrectly charging PFs), and I (and others) would proof read letters and we would do our best to ensure that the matter was resolved.

marks87

Established Member
Many thanks. I've passed the info on.

I'll update tomorrow with what happens, either way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The promised update - he had no problems whatsoever!

paul1609

Established Member

Living on marsh link I use off peak tickets on HS1 all the time. Ive never had a ticket queried by the train manager. They usually seem well informed of the restrictions. On the rare occasions that I havent been able to get the ticket on the 171 to Ashford they've always been happy to sell me a railcard discounted off peak return on board even in the morning peak.

craigwilson

I've used such long-distance tickets that finish outside the Network Area many times before. Never have I had an issue travelling at peak time into London. I think most guards/TMs, at least on the mainline and HS1 services, seem to be pretty aware of this rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.