• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Canterbury West today

NeilCr

Sitting waiting for my train today when a steam train with one carriage pulled into the siding on the other side of the track

It filled up with coal there

A quick google suggests it may have been The Golden Arrow?

Unfortunately my train was due quite soon so couldn’t get across to see. A few folks there taking pictures. I’ve got one but as my partner said it’’s lousy

Bit surprised only one carriage !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
Sitting waiting for my train today when a steam train with one carriage pulled into the siding on the other side of the track

It filled up with coal there

A quick google suggests it may have been The Golden Arrow?

Unfortunately my train was due quite soon so couldn’t get across to see. A few folks there taking pictures. I’ve got one but as my partner said it’’s lousy

Bit surprised only one carriage !
I suspect it was this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...6/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LS, a LSL special from Bristol to Canterbury. The Steam Loco will have shunted with only the support carriage to make life easier, while the main carriage set was left in a siding somewhere. The arrival came via Ashford, the departure went (is running) via Minster to avoid needing to turn the loco separately.

A shame it gets to Temple Meads at 10 to Midnight, otherwise I might have been able to get a photo my end.

NeilCr

I suspect it was this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...6/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LS, a LSL special from Bristol to Canterbury. The Steam Loco will have shunted with only the support carriage to make life easier, while the main carriage set was left in a siding somewhere. The arrival came via Ashford, the departure went (is running) via Minster to avoid needing to turn the loco separately.

A shame it gets to Temple Meads at 10 to Midnight, otherwise I might have been able to get a photo my end.
Thanks!

I was waiting for the 14-33 to Ramsgate so that fits in well.

And appreciate the info re the carriages. That was the bit that was puzzling me.

And thanks to the others who replied too

Trainlog

I saw it earlier around Maidstone - The Golden arrow headboard certainly suits Scots Guardsman:).

Was today the first time a Royal Scot has successfully reached Kent for a railtour? - I haven't seen any previous footage of one on YouTube around Kentish rails.

BRX

Established Member
Here it is this morning heading through south London.

And here’s Royal Scot out again today looking magnificent in the sunshine near Sandwich
IMG_8316.jpeg