• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Car Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Can anyone (like I can) remember when this was a simple process , you paid the cost of hire and that was it.

There are so many extras being bandied about by a lot of Car Hire Companies which results in making Ryanair bookings look relatively straightforward.

Tyre damage....Underside Damage....CDW....Super CDW....PAI.......

Holy moses :p - have we really moved forward ???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
I agree. My car whent into the garage to have some work done and I was going hire a car. Thinking that it was going to be simple I just took my driving licence and credit card with me. How wrong I was, along with all the different damage covers they wanted more proof of my adress and my passport. I decided to use the bus to avoid the complication.

GB

Established Member
Whats worse is your insurance excess (can) automatically transfer over to the hire car. So if you have a hefty excess like I have (£500) then it can be a bit butt clenching at times in the hire car.

Butts

Veteran Member
Whats worse is your insurance excess (can) automatically transfer over to the hire car. So if you have a hefty excess like I have (£500) then it can be a bit butt clenching at times in the hire car.

So are you saying if you have an accident in a Hired Car the excess on your Private Car Policy comes into play - first I've heard of that :idea:

GB

Established Member
So are you saying if you have an accident in a Hired Car the excess on your Private Car Policy comes into play - first I've heard of that :idea:

Whether that is standard I don't know, but certainly I had a hire car two years ago following a car accident and was told my excess will be what ever was on my private policy. Perhaps it was more the actual policy transferred over which I guess makes more sense?

Edit, scratch that. I am thinking of a courtesy car.

Butts

Veteran Member
Whether that is standard I don't know, but certainly I had a hire car two years ago following a car accident and was told my excess will be what ever was on my private policy. Perhaps it was more the actual policy transferred over which I guess makes more sense?

Ah I see thats one arranged by the Insurance Company probably, hence the involvement of the excess.

michael769

Established Member
Courtesy cars are normally covered under your existing policy so the same T&c's will apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.