• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Card or paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

furgus2

I intend to buy a 14 day rover shortly but I would like it printed in a traditional card format. My local station issues tickets on paper and when I bought a rover from there a few years ago, I found that it was becoming illegible after about 10 days of use. Since then, I’ve bought them online from GWR who issue them on card. However, this time, I want to buy at the last minute at a station. It will likely be at an Avanti or LNER station. I know that Avanti usually print tickets on paper, I’ve no idea of LNER’s practice.
Can someone please tell me if it’s possible to have a rover printed on a card ticket even if the station normally issues them on paper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I know that Avanti usually print tickets on paper, I’ve no idea of LNER’s practice.
It will be the same at an LNER station. PRT (paper roll tickets) are the default and staff cannot override that. If you are determined to have it on CCST (credit card sized ticket) your best bet will probably be to buy from a Northern TVM.

Krokodil

Established Member
Out of interest, are booking offices able to reprint them like they can season tickets?

infobleep

Veteran Member
We haven't seen any problems in the three years we've been using PRT. Real world problems are very different to forum hypothesis
That is fair enough then.

I just know that my shop receipts in my wallet can become faded fairly quickly but those might be using different ink.

Krokodil

Established Member
That is fair enough then.

I just know that my shop receipts in my wallet can become faded fairly quickly but those might be using different ink.
Weekly seasons kept in the NRE wallets and never removed from them (because you can put them into the opposing pouches to show the whole ticket, including barcode) don't have any issues with fading.

It's handling things regularly that wears them out.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Weekly seasons kept in the NRE wallets and never removed from them (because you can put them into the opposing pouches to show the whole ticket, including barcode) don't have any issues with fading.

Theres a new PRT format in the works thats much smaller

infobleep

Veteran Member

I find this to not be the case in my wallet but perhaps they are rubbing against other things. They are usually folded and my wallet is full.
Very unlikely either are using ink
How interesting. I guess one wouldn't news to handle a rover ticket often as it has a code that is scanned.

The exile

Established Member
We haven't seen any problems in the three years we've been using PRT. Real world problems are very different to forum hypothesis
Well - my weekly season on bogroll was virtually illegible after 5 days of being taken in and out for hunan inspections in the rain, damp qr readers etc etc. Fortunately I can mostly still get them on card.

furgus2

i just wanted to add that I was able to buy a 14 day rover printed on card at a station which usually issues tickets on paper. So, I was able to keep it safely in a ticket wallet with no worries about fading etc. The only time I had to remove it was for an Avanti man at the gateline in Rugby who insisted it had to be put through the machine, even though it would be rejected, so that he could read the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.