• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Bus loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Severn40

The South Wales Echo is reporting that Cardiff Bus made a loss in the last financial year.

This is not good - is it a blip or something more fundamental? Or is it something more local to the Cardiff area such as the loss of the bus station, increased congestion and changes to the concessionary fare funding?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardiff-bus-lost-19m-last-15343639

Cardiff Bus lost £1.9m last year but has refused to explain publicly what caused it.

The council-owned firm has previously made profits after tax of £229,000 in 2016/17 and £293,000 in 2015/16.

A Conservative councillor accused the city bus operator of "haemorrhaging money".

Cardiff Bus has not yet filed accounts for the year ended March 31, 2018 to Companies House.

Yet the city council's latest financial statement shows that the bus operator's revenue fell from £32m in 2016/17 to £30.5m in 2017/18.

At the same time, its costs rose from £31.6m to £32.8m, leaving it with a £1.913m loss after tax during the year.

In its previous accounts for 2016/17, the firm warned that the biggest risks to its profitability were rising fuel prices and potential cuts to Welsh Government bus subsidies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Diesel has gone up by 25p a litre at the pumps in the last year. Depending how far in advance they negotiate their price this could have a big effect on them.
Have they had any new vehicles? At around 1/4m plus for a new bus it doesn’t take many to create a 2m loss

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Have they had any new vehicles? At around 1/4m plus for a new bus it doesn’t take many to create a 2m loss
As will be standard accounting treatment, the cost of a new bus will be held as an asset in the books and the cost spread over the expected lifetime of the vehicle. So this wouldn't be the cause.

I'm a very infrequent user of Cardiff bus, having to make a journey between Cardiff central and wentloog. I do find I need to leave an hour to make the journey, which seems to be a combination of really difficult traffic almost all day both in the city centre and cardiff bus not coping with it. I wonder if Cardiff is just a difficult city to serve by road?

martian boy

I'm a very infrequent user of Cardiff bus, having to make a journey between Cardiff central and wentloog. I do find I need to leave an hour to make the journey, which seems to be a combination of really difficult traffic almost all day both in the city centre and cardiff bus not coping with it. I wonder if Cardiff is just a difficult city to serve by road?

Blame the stupid Council CEOs for this. Roads closed to traffic meaning all traffic going down a couple of major roads. The clowns closed St. Mary Street, all traffic now going up and down Westgate Street. Total mayhem, day in day out, in the city centre.

All jobs being created or moved to the city centre, causing massive traffic jams. Traffic lights taking forever to change. In many cases padestrians and cyclists having all priority.

I’m a bus driver myself for Stagecoach, driving most days into Cardiff. This so called Capital City, is now a complete and utter sh*thole.

Volvodart

Established Member
'Crisis-hit' Cardiff Bus in shock move to cut 12 bus routes as it faces huge losses.

Their 2018 accounts are overdue for filing at Companies House.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-bus-cut-routes-crisis-15734996

'Crisis-hit' Cardiff Bus in shock move to cut 12 bus routes as it faces huge losses
The loss of the routes will affect people in both the east and west of Cardiff

ByLydia Stephens
19:29, 25 JAN 2019UPDATED19:31, 25 JAN 2019

Cardiff Bus is cutting routes as it faces huge losses

Cardiff's major bus operator is cutting out twelve bus routes as it seeks to stem huge losses, we can reveal.

The shock move, which has been leaked to WalesOnline, will affect people who live in both the east and west of the city.

Cardiff Bus made a surprise £1.9m loss last year but refused to detail publicly what has gone wrong, citing only rising costs.

Earlier this month, it revealed that fares are going to rise from February 3 - with a day to go costing £3.90.

It has also put itself at loggerheads with unions through plans to cut employees' holiday allowance and change their overtime and weekend pay.

Critics have said the £30m-a-year bus firm is at crisis point.

Cardiff Bus has told councillors the eight daytime bus routes and four night bus routes will be cut from March 31 this year.

Six of the routes are currently serviced by Cardiff Bus's sister company Capital Links.

The routes were transferred to Capital Links two years ago because they were loss-making.

However the company has told councillors that they are still losing money after two years and will have to be withdrawn.

In a message to councillors it said rising costs were forcing them to change routes and withdraw services.

The changes are due to come in on March 31 this year.

The full list of changes
The full list of Capital Links services being cut
Service 15: No service from Caerau to Canton/City Centre or Heath Hospital link. Thus Caerau Lane, Heol Yr Odyn and Cwrt-Yr-Ala Road will no longer have direct bus services, with nearest services being services 17/18 on Heol Trelai.

Services 51/53: Loss of services to Circle Way West, Gwern Rhuddi Road, Rhyd-y-Penau Road and Heathwood Road. For Circle Way West nearest bus services will be operated on Llanedeyrn Drive, whilst for Gwern Rhuddi Road nearest alternative bus services will be on Hampton Crescent. For Rhyd-y-Penau Road nearest bus services are either on Cyncoed Road or Fidlas Road/Llandennis Road.

Services 64/65 (circular): In Fairwater, Fairways Crescent, Bwlch Road, Wellwright Road, Cartwright Lane and Gorse Place will no longer be served, with either Firs Avenue or St. Fagans Road the nearest locations for alternative bus services. There will also be no direct link between Llanrumney and St. Mellons with interchange with connecting services on Newport Road required.

Service 66: Loss of service on Pwllmelin Road, Keystone Road, Waterhall Road and Llandaff Road, with nearest alternative services located on Pentrebane Road, Plas-Mawr Road or Cardiff Road.

Service 86: Loss of service to Heath and Lisvane, so Heol Hir, Orchard Road, Mill Road, Heol-y-Delyn and Lisvane Road will no longer be served, along with Ashbourne Way, part of Ty-Glas Road, Maes-y-Coed, Heath Way, Heathwood Road and Heath Park Avenue.

Service X91: Loss of service between Llantwit Major, St. Athan, Rhoose and Cardiff. At the same time, we are also withdrawing our night bus journeys on routes 18, 27, 44 and 57 as unfortunately the ridership on these services has not grown in line with our expectation.

The night bus services being cut
N18, N27, N44 and N57

The Cardiff Bus services being cut
Service 12 between Drope and Leckwith. Service 13 will continue to travel between the Drope with Canton. Whilst a direct service between Drope and Leckwith Retail Park will no longer be operated, if customers wish to continue travelling to Leckwith Retail Park they can do so by connecting to either service 2 in Canton or to services 95 / 95A/ 95B in the city centre.

Service 54 between Cyncoed and Channel View: Service 52 will extend to Cyncoed Village to replace Service 54, 7 days per week. There will be a loss of bus service on Celyn Avenue and along Paget Street and Channel View. For Celyn Avenue closest bus stops will be located on Lakeside Road (Services 28, 28A, 28B) or Cyncoed Road (Service 52).

For customers in Grangetown whilst Channel View will no longer be served directly, services 8, 9 & 9A also travel along Clare Road and services 9 & 9A continue along Clive Street and Ferry Road

Route changes

Baycar (service 6) will no longer serve Porth Teigr and will operate between the city centre /Cathays Park and the Wales Millennium Centre only.

Services 28, 28A, 28B will travel via Albany Road, Wellfield Road, Ninian Road, Lake Road East and Lakeside Drive. In addition to this, services 28, 28A, 28B will all travel along Tŷ Glas Avenue rather than Parc Tŷ Glas. This will introduce a direct link between Thornhill and Llanishen to Albany Road and Wellfield Road. This means that both Lake Road West and Mackintosh Place will no longer be served by bus services. Closest bus stops for these areas will be Lake Road East and Albany Road respectively.

Service 52 will extend to Cyncoed village as a replacement to service 54 which will be withdrawn. Buses will follow the same route throughout the day and will not divert via Llandennis Avenue during the evenings or on Sundays.

Service 61 will be split into two services. Buses on service 61 will continue to run between Pentrebane and the city centre, and service 11 will replace the service between the city centre and Pengam Green. As well as addressing time keeping issues this will also permit the use of larger capacity buses at peak times. The frequency of the service to Pengam Green will be reduced from 10 to 15 minutes at peak times

Services 95A, 95B, 95C . Buses on service 95A will travel between Cardiff city centre and Llandough Hospital via the Park & Ride West site and buses on service 95B will travel between Cardiff city centre and the Park & Ride West site only. Unfortunately, these services will no longer serve Penarth.

Timetable changes
Timetables will be revised on the following routes: 13, 17/18, 21/23, 24/25, 27, 30, 35, 49/50, 57/58, 63/63A, 95, X45

Full details of the changes and timetables will be available on our website cardiffbus.com when they are formally announced.

allaction

Cardiff Bus seems to have lost, or withdrawn from, a lot of school services in the past eighteen months or so.

I wonder if this a significant reason for the losses?

I’m not surprised the 61 service is reverting to Pentrebane - City Centre only: attempting to cross the city centre to Pengam Green, and vice versa, is timetable madness.

The loss of services on Lake Road West and Mackintosh Place will leave those roads without buses for the first time in my lifetime - and I’m 60 soon (unfortunately!)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
All night buses are being withdrawn as well, which is a massive shame, particularly for the 18 (the 00:30 and 01:30 departures are normally pretty full). I can't comment on the loadings for the 27, 44 and 57 however.

Mwanesh

Lets not forget in most routes to the North they compete against Stagecoach services from The Valleys.27 goes up against the 132 and 26 towards Whitchurch so it must be losing money .They are limited in that they operate in the City only apart from the 30 to Newport.They cant really grow the Network.Newport bus is the one thats on the ropes.

daodao

Established Member
Lets not forget in most routes to the North they compete against Stagecoach services from The Valleys.27 goes up against the 132 and 26 towards Whitchurch so it must be losing money .They are limited in that they operate in the City only apart from the 30 to Newport.They cant really grow the Network.Newport bus is the one thats on the ropes.

It is sad to read of the adverse turn of fortune for Cardiff Bus.

For information, the 27 runs up Caerphilly Road/Thornhill Road and the competition is with NAT's route to Llanishen/Thornhill and Stagecoach's route to Caerphilly (now number 25). The Cardiff Bus routes to Whitchurch are circulars 21/23 and 24/25. Cardiff Bus no longer operates along Manor Way, but I believe that Edwards route 400 from Beddau still calls at the local stops on this road. Cardiff used to operate the bus routes to Caerphilly, both via Caerphilly Mountain and Tongwynlais, in part jointly with other municipal operators, including latterly Islwyn Borough Transport on the service to Tredegar (then route 36). IBT's attractive light blue livery stood out from the garish orange used by Cardiff Bus.

When I lived in Whitchurch/Rhiwbina, I tended to use the "out of town" buses (or the Coryton rail line) rather than local Cardiff Buses, as the latter (other than on the Caerphilly routes) had an exact fare policy. It was always handy that the last bus from Cardiff city centre to Whitchurch (National Welsh/Rhondda 132 to Porth) left slightly later (at 2310) than all the Cardiff bus departures. This was the last ever bus service that I used in Cardiff on the night before I left the city in 2005. On return visits, I have only used the Valley lines services.

Most of the municipal operators left do not have economy of scale (apart from Nottingham and Lothian) and are vulnerable to external pressures. If either Cardiff or Newport bus does succumb, it will be the end of the last joint municipal bus operation in Britain, long-established route 30 between the 2 cities. Such operations were once widespread, particularly in conurbations such as Greater Manchester (less so in South Wales) and led to great variety in these areas.

carlberry

Established Member
Cardiff Bus seems to have lost, or withdrawn from, a lot of school services in the past eighteen months or so.

I wonder if this a significant reason for the losses?
Only if they withdraw them all at the same time and had to pay redundancy costs (which would be identified as something like restructuring costs in the accounts). It's more like that they've gone through all of them an decided the dont make anything on them so they'll get rid of them over time.

Mwanesh

They are also looking into staff terms and conditions.I have seen it some where let me see if i can find it.Thats what the company are looking atFB_IMG_1548519555303.jpg

317 forever

Established Member
We must be due a sale of one of the few remaining 'municipals'.

I think Cardiff City Council had plans to sell a 40% stake in Cardiff bus around 7 years ago to assist with Council finances. Maybe they can indeed sell to NAT Group, as Cardiff would still have 3 operators: NAT/Cardiff Bus, First and Stagecoach.

padbus

I have been contacted by my son who commutes by bus between Cardiff (Victoria Park) and Newport, changing buses in Cardiff city centre. Until last week the Cardiff Bus flat fare was £1.90 single or £3.80 for a Day to Go ticket valid on the entire network (excluding Barry) all day. This ticket was valid all the way to Newport which was extremely good value and, arguably, too cheap.

On 3 Feb Cardiff Bus increased the fares to £2 single, £4 Day to Go. Whilst unwelcome, this cannot be considered unreasonable. However, there is devil in the detail. On the service 30 to Newport, the validity of the Day to Go ticket is cut back to the city boundary at St Mellons. There is now a Cardiff to Newport fare of £2.50 single £4.50 return. This is quite a chunky increase for the Cardiff-Newport section alone let alone any extra fare within Cardiff. The fare change announcement on the website www.cardiffbus.com/new-fares-sunday-3-february doesn't make it quite clear if the £4.50 fare is also valid for travel within Cardiff beyond the city centre. My son is, therefore facing a potential fare of £4.00 return from Victoria Park to city centre plus £4.50 return city centre to Newport. An overnight increase from £3.80 to £8.50 cannot be considered reasonable so I have been doing a little more digging.

Service 30 enjoys its own page on the Cardiff Bus website www.cardiffbus.com/service-30-fares. This confirms the the £4.50 Cardiff-Newport fare is valid only from Cardiff city centre to Newport. However, it does say that there is a Day to Go Plus ticket which is available on the Cardiff Bus network and all the way to Newport at normal Day to Go Plus fares. However it does not say what this fare is. It is worth mentioning that the nature of my son's work means that most weeks he will be working away from the office so weekly tickets are not suitable for his needs. He pays each day using contactless payment. There is no reference to the Day to Go Plus ticket on the Cash & Contactless page of the Cardiff Bus website www.cardiffbus.com/on-the-bus-fares. However, it does appear on the Mobile Tickets page at £5.30. www.cardiffbus.com/mobile-tickets#732fa329-a68d-43ea-8193-1ed1a4d7e6e0 . My son would have no problem using a phone based ticket but service 30 is run jointly with Newport Bus who have not accepted Cardiff Bus mobile tickets. This is confirmed on fare change of the Cardiff Bus website. However that page does show a cash/contactless Day to Go Plus ticket at £5.50. The current Cardiff Bus fares pages (as above) now say that Newport Bus will now accept tickets on the Cardiff Bus app.

There does seem a certain amount of confusion here but, at best, my son's fare has increased from £3.80 to £5.30. Whilst £5.30 may not seem an unreasonable fare for a journey of that length, it is still an increase of over 39% in one hit.

EDIT 11:40. My son reports that he was able to buy a £5.50 Day to Go Plus that took him to Newport on Cardiff Bus. He has yet to try it on Newport Bus.

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
I have been contacted by my son who commutes by bus between Cardiff (Victoria Park) and Newport, changing buses in Cardiff city centre. Until last week the Cardiff Bus flat fare was £1.90 single or £3.80 for a Day to Go ticket valid on the entire network (excluding Barry) all day. This ticket was valid all the way to Newport which was extremely good value and, arguably, too cheap.

On 3 Feb Cardiff Bus increased the fares to £2 single, £4 Day to Go. Whilst unwelcome, this cannot be considered unreasonable. However, there is devil in the detail. On the service 30 to Newport, the validity of the Day to Go ticket is cut back to the city boundary at St Mellons. There is now a Cardiff to Newport fare of £2.50 single £4.50 return. This is quite a chunky increase for the Cardiff-Newport section alone let alone any extra fare within Cardiff. The fare change announcement on the website www.cardiffbus.com/new-fares-sunday-3-february doesn't make it quite clear if the £4.50 fare is also valid for travel within Cardiff beyond the city centre. My son is, therefore facing a potential fare of £4.00 return from Victoria Park to city centre plus £4.50 return city centre to Newport. An overnight increase from £3.80 to £8.50 cannot be considered reasonable so I have been doing a little more digging.

Service 30 enjoys its own page on the Cardiff Bus website www.cardiffbus.com/service-30-fares. This confirms the the £4.50 Cardiff-Newport fare is valid only from Cardiff city centre to Newport. However, it does say that there is a Day to Go Plus ticket which is available on the Cardiff Bus network and all the way to Newport at normal Day to Go Plus fares. However it does not say what this fare is. It is worth mentioning that the nature of my son's work means that most weeks he will be working away from the office so weekly tickets are not suitable for his needs. He pays each day using contactless payment. There is no reference to the Day to Go Plus ticket on the Cash & Contactless page of the Cardiff Bus website www.cardiffbus.com/on-the-bus-fares. However, it does appear on the Mobile Tickets page at £5.30. www.cardiffbus.com/mobile-tickets#732fa329-a68d-43ea-8193-1ed1a4d7e6e0 . My son would have no problem using a phone based ticket but service 30 is run jointly with Newport Bus who have not accepted Cardiff Bus mobile tickets. This is confirmed on fare change of the Cardiff Bus website. However that page does show a cash/contactless Day to Go Plus ticket at £5.50. The current Cardiff Bus fares pages (as above) now say that Newport Bus will now accept tickets on the Cardiff Bus app.

There does seem a certain amount of confusion here but, at best, my son's fare has increased from £3.80 to £5.30. Whilst £5.30 may not seem an unreasonable fare for a journey of that length, it is still an increase of over 39% in one hit.

EDIT 11:40. My son reports that he was able to buy a £5.50 Day to Go Plus that took him to Newport on Cardiff Bus. He has yet to try it on Newport Bus.

For a period in late 1996, I was car-less and had to travel (for work) on 1-2 days per week from Whitchurch into Cardiff city centre and onwards to the Royal Gwent Hospital. The cost then for a Cardiff Bus Capital ticket (equivalent to day-to-go) was £3-00. It was valid on service 30 to Newport, but I did have occasional problems with Newport bus drivers initially declining to accept the ticket. The new equivalent fare of £5-50 does not seem exorbitant.

It looks like the recent fares revision by Cardiff Bus further complicates the fares on the Cardiff to Newport route. Despite the 30 being a joint service they now both charge different prices for their Single Tickets and different prices for their Day Tickets as well. Also to further complicate things Cardiff Bus now sell Return Tickets but Newport Bus do not.

So the fares between Cardiff and Newport are now as follows:

----------------

Cardiff Bus (30):
• Adult Single - £2.50
• Adult Return - £4.50
• Adult Day - £5.50

Newport Bus (30/X30):
• Adult Single - £2.20
• Adult Return - Not Available
• Adult Day - £4.50

New Adventure Travel (X5):
• Adult Single - £2.00
• Adult Return - Not Available
• Adult Day - £3.70

----------------

Cardiff Bus accept the £4.50 Day Ticket issued by Newport Bus on the route 30.

Newport Bus accept both the £4.50 Return Ticket and the £5.50 Day Ticket issued by Cardiff Bus on the route 30. Although note that Newport Bus do not accept any tickets issued by Cardiff Bus on the route X30.

New Adventure Travel do not accept any tickets issued by Cardiff Bus or by Newport Bus on the route X5.

What a complicating mess. This must really confuse all the passengers using the Cardiff to Newport route.

padbus

For a period in late 1996, I was car-less and had to travel (for work) on 1-2 days per week from Whitchurch into Cardiff city centre and onwards to the Royal Gwent Hospital. The cost then for a Cardiff Bus Capital ticket (equivalent to day-to-go) was £3-00. It was valid on service 30 to Newport, but I did have occasional problems with Newport bus drivers initially declining to accept the ticket. The new equivalent fare of £5-50 does not seem exorbitant.

I agree that, on the face of it, the £5.50 fare is not unreasonable. However, it is still a £1.70 increase over the previous £3.80. That is an enormous jump.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I agree that, on the face of it, the £5.50 fare is not unreasonable. However, it is still a £1.70 increase over the previous £3.80. That is an enormous jump.

More evidence of poor management if they haven't kept fares up to appropriate levels. No wonder they're now struggling.

Mwanesh

I think if he buys a Weekly Network Rder it will work out cheaper

Chris217

Sadly Cardiff Bus is a shambles
compared to when I used to live there.
My bus route 12/13 service is halved!
In fact,now it's just route 13.
No bus station Which is a total disgrace for a capital city.
Obviously the council in crisis having to sell off its bus station!
We had a great bus and rail interchange that was Central Square.
Just to reminisce, i
Used to love the City Circle route with the JBO/N Leyland Nationals....ha,going back a bit.
I moved to Liverpool in 1989 and coincidently
5 of our Nationals followed me soon after going to CMT Buses.
That's another story which I may start on another thread.
Cardiff Bus was always my favourite operator until I moved away.
Then in 1989 I discovered the joys of Leyland Atlanteans hehe with Merseybus.
Music to ones ears,but then Arriva took over and got shot of the lot!

tramboy

The 12 service is continuing, just operated by Stagecoach following a tendering process by the Council (as is service 86 to Lisvane).

Cheers

carlberry

Established Member
Sadly Cardiff Bus is a shambles
No bus station Which is a total disgrace for a capital city.
Obviously the council in crisis having to sell off its bus station!
We had a great bus and rail interchange that was Central Square.
The loss of the bus station wasn't Cardiff Bus's fault (other than they couldn't kick up much of a fuss about it because of their ultimate owners). It does show how much interest Councillors actually have in buses and integrated transport however.

Status
Not open for further replies.