• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff-Portsmouth - Rolling Stock Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRegular

For those in the know, would the third rail electrification between Portsmouth and Redbridge be able to accomodate a hypothetical dual voltage bi-mode on the route? That would be ideal for any new stock.

To those suggesting end doors: you must not have been on any moderately well loaded 158 passing though Southampton, Bath or Bristol! The Pompey-Cardiff routinely loses a few minutes here and there, and it hasn't a hope of making up any time at stops with end door trains, quite the opposite in fact. Not worth the fairly marginal increase in comfort for longer distance passengers.

A decent refurb of the turbos, with 2+2 seating and some proper tables, will do just fine for the next few years. In the longer term, I would echo other posters suggesting that new stock should be gangwayed, able to take advantage of the (hopefully ever expanding) electrification at each end, and operate at least 5 carriages for the majority of the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Intercity-style stock demonstrates a complete disconnect with the point of the route -

A commuter route needs commuter stock. It isn’t the 1980s anymore.

Single doors - even wide ones, and enclosed vestibules are not suitable for the high passenger churn at major stations.

The tail cannot wag the dog. End to end / long distance passengers make up a fraction of the users of the route.
So, to stop the tail wagging the dog, you would cut the tail off the dog. Longer-distance travel is more likely to be discressionary travel than commuting is, and of course you are on the train for longer, so for a long-distance passenger it is more important for the train to be comfortable. You say the route is a commuter route and needs commuter stock, if so then forget it, just scrap the route and replace it with a buntch of seperate services like Cardiff-Bristol, Bristol-Salisbury, Salisbury-Southampton and Southampton-Portsmouth, allowing you to use EMUs on the last leg (and hopefully the first before too long). I would very much prefer however that the rail industry tries to attract modal shift away from cars, particularly those doing longer trips, by providing something close to intercity-style stock (the kitchen/buffet is probably not justified, but the rest ought to be provided).

The argument that "Single doors - even wide ones, and enclosed vestibules are not suitable for the high passenger churn at major stations." is valid to a degree but not as strong as you make it appear. Cardiff Central, Newport, Reading, Bath, York and Stockport are all major stations (to give just a few examples) and yet intercity trains call at all of them on a regular basis. You simply have to ensure the timetable allows for the longer dwell time of such stock rather than timing everything for suburban units and making the intercity and regional trains run late.

If successful, that would bring the balance of passengers back up to a more even mix of short-distance commuters and longer-distances travellers (I still don't expect that many doing Cardiff-Portsmouth throughout, but there will be some and also many doing things like Cardiff to Salisbury and Portsmouth to Bath), meaning it would no longer be 'the tail wagging the dog'.
NO NO NO

A 1/3 2/3 unit with gangways (CAF 196 for example) would be ideal for Cardiff to Portsmouth. Only if you ignore longer-distance passengers. The 1/3 2/3 doors keep dwell times down yes, but they reduce toilet privacy (which bothers my grandmother) and, without enclosed vestibules, they disrupt the saloon atmosphere at every stop, not fun if doing a long-distance trip late on a winter evening and give a bit of extra standing room for the peaks trains are not TARDISes, that 'extra standing room' has to come from somewhere - compare a 197 to a 175 and that somewhere is from legroom, luggage space, toilets and tables - all of those being things long-distance passengers want. A modern day Chiltern 168 with end gangways and better acceleration due to the ZF gearbox. For all the eco warriors fit the Hybrid MTU power pack. In the future when battery density has improved very easy to replace fuel tank and engine/gearbox raft with battery/motor replacement. How do you charge the batteries? I agree the acceleration of a 196/197 would be helpful on the Cardiff-Portsmouth route (it would help make up for the dwell times caused by using narrow doors and preserving toilet privacy by having one set of doors at/near the vehicle end) but the 196/197 is still a diesel-mechanical unit presumably with no traction power cabling. All new diesel units need to be either be bi-mode/tri-mode or, at the very least, diesel-electric with passive provision for convertion to bi-mode/tri-mode. Anything else is just giving DfT/treasury an excuse not to electrify.
Comments added to quote in red.

A 5-car version wouldn't need end gangways because the platforms at intermediate stations are limited to that length anyway.
Class 444s are 5-car and have gangways which are still useful. Platforms can be extended and rolling stock can be cascaded. While a new 5-car unit for Cardiff-Portsmouth wouldn't need gangways on day one, it's prudent to include them to allow for the future. Personally, I think all new multiple units with a top speed of 110mph or less should have unit end gangways fitted unless they are so long that using them in multiple would be impractical (only class 700s and 345s fit that category I think).

For those in the know, would the third rail electrification between Portsmouth and Redbridge be able to accomodate a hypothetical dual voltage bi-mode on the route? That would be ideal for any new stock.
I've no idea if the third rail has spare power capacity, but I absolutely agree that any new stock should have 3rd rail and OHLE current collection either built in or an easy retro-fit once wires are extended down Filton Bank into Temple Meads.

To those suggesting end doors: you must not have been on any moderately well loaded 158 passing though Southampton, Bath or Bristol! The Pompey-Cardiff routinely loses a few minutes here and there, and it hasn't a hope of making up any time at stops with end door trains, quite the opposite in fact. Not worth the fairly marginal increase in comfort for longer distance passengers.
The 158s were mainly only 3-car (meaning fewer doors overall and standees clogging up the doorways due to insufficient seating capacity) and have clunky old door mechanisms. A new 5-car 444-like unit would be much better, still not as quick as a Turbo I grant you but allow for it in the timetable so you don't run late as a result and it's no problem. As a long-distance passenger, I would much rather add five minutes to a three hour journey to gain some more legroom than sit for 3 hours with 'my knees behind my ears'.

I would echo other posters suggesting that new stock should be gangwayed, able to take advantage of the (hopefully ever expanding) electrification at each end, and operate at least 5 carriages for the majority of the day.
Yep, gangwayed, able to run in electric mode and 5-car formations. At least we can agree on that much.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Class 444s are 5-car and have gangways which are still useful. Platforms can be extended and rolling stock can be cascaded. While a new 5-car unit for Cardiff-Portsmouth wouldn't need gangways on day one, it's prudent to include them to allow for the future. Personally, I think all new multiple units with a top speed of 110mph or less should have unit end gangways fitted unless they are so long that using them in multiple would be impractical (only class 700s and 345s fit that category I think).
Class 444s routinely operate in multiple. The likelihood of 10 car operation on Cardiff to Portsmouth is nil. The likelihood of units from this route being cascaded to work elsewhere in multiple in the future is also nil.

JN114

Established Member
The argument that "Single doors - even wide ones, and enclosed vestibules are not suitable for the high passenger churn at major stations." is valid to a degree but not as strong as you make it appear. Cardiff Central, Newport, Reading, Bath, York and Stockport are all major stations (to give just a few examples) and yet intercity trains call at all of them on a regular basis. You simply have to ensure the timetable allows for the longer dwell time of such stock rather than timing everything for suburban units and making the intercity and regional trains run late.

The difference is though - On those Intercity trains through York or Cardiff you’re not having the majority of the train disembark to be replaced with another whole trainload of passengers; you’re just getting a small minority get on and off - whereas in the peaks on the Cardiff Portsmouth route you’d often see close to that, particularly at Bristol and Bath. Scheduled dwell times were (and still are) a couple of minutes but trains were often stopped for 5 or 6 minutes. I hear the argument about don’t adjust the stock adjust the timetable but at what point do you turn round and draw a line under that. Can we really justify sitting around at Bath for 10 minutes at the height of the evening peak just to satiate a small minority of passengers highly subjective views.

The trains are full now - exiting a pandemic and 2 coaches longer than they were a couple of years ago. Evidently the route has zero issues attracting or retaining passengers - if comfort was the big issue suppressing demand it’s being made out to be here then they’d be leaving in their droves - they’re not.

Everyone agrees the trains could be made more comfortable; and in 10-15 years time they’ll probably need outright replacement. For now a Turbo, hopefully refurbished to a higher interior standard is more than adequate - and solves the problems the route has; rather than problems it is perceived to have.

A 5+Powercar version of the newish Anglia Bi-Modes would likely strike the right balance of wide open doorways, improved passenger comfort, high capacity, and reducing Diesel running for a new build fleet in future. And they would be a good fit on many of GW’s routes - not just the Cardiff Portsmouths but North Downs, Cardiff Penzance, the longer Branchlines such as Newquay or Barnstaple (although 5 car would be overkill) - you could sweep away much of the remaining Diesel fleet in one fell swoop.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Would a short HST set be overkill on a Cardiff Central/Bristol Temple Meads to Portsmouth Harbour services?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I assumed those services were routed from Salisbury via Romsey and Southampton Central then the West Coastway line?
The current service does run as you say, but HSTs cannot use the section between St Denys and Fareham, the “Netley line” I mentioned.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I would sum it up as this.

There are conflicting demands for the route. There are long distance journeys but also shorter commuter flows. To keep the timetable going and not waste track capacity the tendency is going to be towards trains that can keep the station dwell times down to a minimum. That means commuter style stock. That is especially true if the commuter flows are the more dominant which i suspect they are.

However. If demand for longer distance journeys becomes high enough then perhaps put on some different trains that stop at far less stations. Problem is I can imagine that, at most of the principal stations on the route, there is no spare platform for the express train to connect with and pass the all-stations train ?. Also I doubt the main towns on the route are spaced out very evenly along the route. In the glorious new future for rail perhaps the route will get four tracked (and electrified) !. One day.

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The difference is though - On those Intercity trains through York or Cardiff you’re not having the majority of the train disembark to be replaced with another whole trainload of passengers; you’re just getting a small minority get on and off - whereas in the peaks on the Cardiff Portsmouth route you’d often see close to that, particularly at Bristol and Bath.
If you're talking peak times, then I would expect Stockport, York, Reading, Bath and Newport see a similar number of passengers (if not more) alighting from intercity trains as from the Cardiff-Portsmouth. In terms of the proportion of passengers on the train it wouldn't be as high, but still a similar number of passengers to get through the doors.

Scheduled dwell times were (and still are) a couple of minutes but trains were often stopped for 5 or 6 minutes. I hear the argument about don’t adjust the stock adjust the timetable but at what point do you turn round and draw a line under that. Can we really justify sitting around at Bath for 10 minutes at the height of the evening peak just to satiate a small minority of passengers highly subjective views.
How long does an 800 sit at Bath at the height of the evening peak?

The trains are full now - exiting a pandemic and 2 coaches longer than they were a couple of years ago. Evidently the route has zero issues attracting or retaining passengers - if comfort was the big issue suppressing demand it’s being made out to be here then they’d be leaving in their droves - they’re not
I am also being told that the numbers doing long distances on the Cardiff-Portsmouth are tiny and that it is a commuter route. The trains being full shows that they are attracting/retaining passengers but by the sounds of it the route is only retaining/attracting short-distance commuters. A train being full of short-distance commuters does not in any way invalidate my argument that poor quality rolling stock is suppressing long-distance demand.

JohnRegular

However. If demand for longer distance journeys becomes high enough then perhaps put on some different trains that stop at far less stations. Problem is I can imagine that, at most of the principal stations on the route, there is no spare platform for the express to connect and pass the stopper.
I have often wondered about having an Southampton-Bristol stopper; there seem to be irregular (at least as it seems to me) stopping trains on the Bristol-Westbury-Salisbury section so it doesn't seem mad to me that there could be an hourly service. I couldn't comment on the specifics of timetabling it, but I know that platforms at Westbury, Salisbury and Southampton have been mooted for reopening, which might make it more plausible.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
However. If demand for longer distance journeys becomes high enough then perhaps put on some different trains that stop at far less stations. Problem is I can imagine that, at most of the principal stations on the route, there is no spare platform for the express train to connect with and pass the all-stations train. Also whoever laid the main towns out did not space them very evenly along the route !. In the glorious new future for trail perhaps the route will get four tracked (and electrified) !.
I would agree with removing one or two stops, and certainly wouldn't add new stops like Cardiff Parkway. The stopping services would not have to run the whole route, you could have seperate stoppers, for example Swansea/Cardiff-Bristol, Bristol-Frome, Swindon-Melksham-Salisbury-Eastleigh-Southampton, Salisbury-Millbrook-Southampton and Bournemouth-Portsmouth, covering the route with the through services cut to Cardiff, Newport, Severn Tunnel Junc*., Filton Abbeywood*, Bristol, Bath, Trowbridge*, Westbury, Warminster, Salisbury, Romsey*, Southampton Central, Fareham/Cosham*, Fratton*, Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour.

* Included for connectional reasons to avoid double-backs, if the service cannot make useful connections at these then it shouldn't call. In the case of Fareham/Cosham only one of the two stops would be needed assuming all other services call at both anyway.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Is there any reason why a train has to have the same accommodation/layout throughout?

How about a reservable coach with end doors, vestibules, tables etc for the long distance passengers and commuter-style ones for the rest?

Mike Machin

Clearly new stock needs to be provided sooner rather than later as the exiting 165/166 units frankly don't reach the standard expected by any prospective passenger today - twenty years ago yes, but times have moved on. No amount of refurbishment is going to improve their ponderous performance, dreary spartan interior, rattling fittings, draughty or stuffy fume-filled interior and the deafening speech-inhibiting cacophony that has to be endured every time these ancient contraptions is in motion.

I do accept that dwell times can be a problem, the route does have a large number of shorter-distance users - indeed I use these services myself for both longer journeys and short hops, and quite frankly, they don't meet the expectations of today's travellers even for short journeys.

Having used the CAF Civity 195s, a batch of these would make an excellent choice I feel. The 2+2 seating and generous provision of seats grouped around a table provide a very pleasant travelling environment, door positions suite the short-distance commuters, and the wide end gangways would make the life of the numerous pack-packers who frequent this route in the summer and weekend much easier, and would facilitate the provision of a trolley service.

Their acceleration is positively brisk in comparison to the 165/166 and the interior ambience is cool, calm and serene. The overall travelling experience is very similar to that provided by the class 350s and the various Electrostars, and these units have proved themselves as being perfectly acceptable for mixed commuter and longer-distance regional express work.

I know that we should perhaps be looking at 'future-proofing' new stock with bi-modal capacity, but I think judging by the government's lack of enthusiasm for railway electrification, it's very unlikely that there will be much new electrification over the next few years. The government will be banking on the electrification of private cars to do the heavy-lifting in carbon reduction, which is not unreasonable considering that the DfT's own survey showed that even in 2019, only 2% of all journeys made in England were by rail.

So, a bespoke five-car version of the 195, with better luggage provision and perhaps the re-introduction of small number of first class seats would seem to me to be an excellent and speedy solution.

Meerkat

Established Member
I know that we should perhaps be looking at 'future-proofing' new stock with bi-modal capacity
Or don’t buy new for this line - the existing Civitys will be on lines more likely to be electrified or part electrified, and having somewhere to send the pure diesels helps the business and environmental case for new electrics/bi-modes

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Yea
Or don’t buy new for this line - the existing Civitys will be on lines more likely to be electrified or part electrified, and having somewhere to send the pure diesels helps the business and environmental case for new electrics/bi-modes
Yes I agree as below.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That is exactly the argument being used for running Turbos - somewhere suitable to send pure diesels that aren't life expired.

Clearly new stock needs to be provided sooner rather than later as the exiting 165/166 units frankly don't reach the standard expected by any prospective passenger today - twenty years ago yes, but times have moved on.
It doesn't. How do we measure what prospective passengers expect? Most are realistic that each line takes its turn for new rolling stock and would rather we don't saddle the railway with costs it can't afford.

In any case, GWR's strategy is fairly sound - extend the trains to five-car where possible using existing rolling stock and then, assuming passenger numbers increase, that will establish five car trains for any replacement fleet in the early 2030s. Would you rather have had a 3-car replacement fleet of new build for the 158s?

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why a train has to have the same accommodation/layout throughout?

How about a reservable coach with end doors, vestibules, tables etc for the long distance passengers and commuter-style ones for the rest?
In theory, no. Don't SWR run a handful of combined 450/444 multiples? I know SWT did (along with the VEP/CIG combinations further back in time). The tricky part is getting people to behave as you want them to. I'm sure many of us have for example sought out a declassified first section if available, even if only going a couple of stops. Most people seem to just board at the door that stops nearest where they're standing.

stj

How many passengers travel the whole route? I expect most are only on for a few stops so Commuter stock is fine.

MarkyT

Established Member
In theory, no. Don't SWR run a handful of combined 450/444 multiples? I know SWT did (along with the VEP/CIG combinations further back in time). The tricky part is getting people to behave as you want them to. I'm sure many of us have for example sought out a declassified first section if available, even if only going a couple of stops. Most people seem to just board at the door that stops nearest where they're standing.
ISTR Southern running mixed accomodation Electrostar formations on some Brighton line fast trains with 2+2 at the rear end and 2+3 at the front, giving longer distance travellers the choice of more comfortable seating while allowing for the typical crowding towards the front for people joining closer to London.
It's also possible to have enclosed 'intercity ambiance' saloons with 1/3 & 2/3 door positions for faster boarding. I think some Desiros on the WCML have that arrangement.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
ISTR Southern running mixed accomodation Electrostar formations on some Brighton line fast trains with 2+2 at the rear end and 2+3 at the front, giving longer distance travellers the choice of more comfortable seating while allowing for the typical crowding towards the front for people joining closer to London.
It's also possible to have enclosed 'intercity ambiance' saloons with 1/3 & 2/3 door positions for faster boarding. I think some Desiros on the WCML have that arrangement.
There does seem to be a bit of "door position snobbery" on this thread. Which I do understand to an extent, when 185s first arrived I felt they were insufficient for longer journeys due to draughts at intermediate stops. In practice though, they work fine. Even the open vestibules aren't a major problem that some make them out to be.

You absolutely could design a train with a mixture of door positions, door sizes, seat arrangements... but is this actually a problem that needs solving? Outside of enthusiast circles I'd argue that it isn't, and to the extent it is a problem we already have the means to solve it without reinventing the wheel.

MarkyT

Established Member
There does seem to be a bit of "door position snobbery" on this thread. Which I do understand to an extent, when 185s first arrived I felt they were insufficient for longer journeys due to draughts at intermediate stops. In practice though, they work fine. Even the open vestibules aren't a major problem that some make them out to be.

You absolutely could design a train with a mixture of door positions, door sizes, seat arrangements... but is this actually a problem that needs solving? Outside of enthusiast circles I'd argue that it isn't, and to the extent it is a problem we already have the means to solve it without reinventing the wheel.
In addition to those at the ends, BR Mk1 open saloon and compartment layouts had additional doors near the centre. Clearly that made them not 'proper intercity trains'!

Dai Corner

Established Member
We need a catchy name for the higher standard of accomodation. 'First Class' has a certain ring about it.

Rhydgaled

Established Member

'Outside of enthusiast circles'... I don't think my grandmother is a rail enthusiast (although she does seem to like steam locomotives when she has accompanied me on trips), and she's where I got the 'toilet privacy' thing from. I never thought of that as an issue until I heard her reaction when I showed her the seat plan of a 185 or XC 170. My brothers certainly aren't rail enthusiasts, and when one of them needed to go from Cardiff to Nottingham by train years ago (but still well within the XC class 170 era) and I asked him how it went his only comment was 'the doors were in the wrong place'. I don't think I had thought much of the different door layouts prior to that, I think my main gripe with the 170s back then was the lack of unit end gangways I think but he made me realise there's alot more to to consider when designing a train.

Could a case be made for splitting the various functions the route serves? At the moment it seems to be something of a Jack-of-All-Trades. With a route and timetable revision I could envisage the greater Bristol commute to work area served by Gloucester to Taunton and Westbury to Weston-super-Mare axes, using units with ⅓ and ⅔ door spacing, whilst the longer distance trunk routes using a modern equivalent of a 158, skip-stopping a good number of the intermediate stations, thus accelerating the journey times.

I dare say the industry insiders will have the numbers, but just from my observations (and personal usage), a surprisingly large number of passengers make medium-to-long distance journeys along this route. Perhaps the trick might be to separate these from the more local flows?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Could a case be made for splitting the various functions the route serves? At the moment it seems to be something of a Jack-of-All-Trades. With a route and timetable revision I could envisage the greater Bristol commute to work area served by Gloucester to Taunton and Westbury to Weston-super-Mare axes, using units with ⅓ and ⅔ door spacing, whilst the longer distance trunk routes using a modern equivalent of a 158, skip-stopping a good number of the intermediate stations, thus accelerating the journey times.
I like the idea of Gloucester to Taunton (replacing the Cardiff-Taunton, with the Bristol-Cardiff leg transfering to TfW and doubling to half-hourly, possibly being extended to Swansea once an hour although keeping it as just Bristol-Cardiff would probably allow earlier introduction of EMUs) and Westbury to Weston-super-Mare local services, with the Cardiff-Portsmouth missing out a few more stops.

I dare say the industry insiders will have the numbers, but just from my observations (and personal usage), a surprisingly large number of passengers make medium-to-long distance journeys along this route. Perhaps the trick might be to separate these from the more local flows?
If you can seperate the more local flows then great, that would help provide the longer distance passengers with suitable stock.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
'Outside of enthusiast circles'... I don't think my grandmother is a rail enthusiast (although she does seem to like steam locomotives when she has accompanied me on trips), and she's where I got the 'toilet privacy' thing from. I never thought of that as an issue until I heard her reaction when I showed her the seat plan of a 185 or XC 170. My brothers certainly aren't rail enthusiasts, and when one of them needed to go from Cardiff to Nottingham by train years ago (but still well within the XC class 170 era) and I asked him how it went his only comment was 'the doors were in the wrong place'. I don't think I had thought much of the different door layouts prior to that, I think my main gripe with the 170s back then was the lack of unit end gangways I think but he made me realise there's alot more to to consider when designing a train.
Well of course we can all find anecdotes to support pretty much any position, but as you say there's a lot more to consider when designing a train. For example does the design make the timetable unworkable due to extended dwells? Despite the large doors at thirds, for a journey of two hours or so on a 185 there's no real comfort penalty in my opinion. If it's a problem then first class is available which is completely closed off from the outside, for a price.

There are always compromises that have to be made on our mixed-use legacy railway. The mark of a good design is one where those unavoidable compromises aren't really felt at the point of use. 185s do this well, as do 350s (/2s notwithstanding), and as hopefully the EMR 360s and Pompey 458s will. If the original plan for Turbos on the route in question (166s with 2+2, 165s with 3+2) is ever taken forward, then hopefully they will too.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I like the idea of Gloucester to Taunton (replacing the Cardiff-Taunton, with the Bristol-Cardiff leg transfering to TfW and doubling to half-hourly, possibly being extended to Swansea once an hour although keeping it as just Bristol-Cardiff would probably allow earlier introduction of EMUs) and Westbury to Weston-super-Mare local services, with the Cardiff-Portsmouth missing out a few more stops.
I don't think GWR like the idea of Gloucester to Taunton - the idea of Cardiff to Penzance has been discussed in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.