• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff to Bridge of Allan and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hey all,

I'm trying to help a friend who might be coming to visit me next month and I'm trying to find the cheapest tickets possible, the journey will be from Cardiff Central to Bridge of Allan, outward on either the 23rd or 26th October, returning on the 30th.
Earliest time leaving Cardiff on the way out is about 11, though a little earlier would be ok, and he needs to get back into Cardiff before about 9.30pm on the way back.

He doesn't currently have a railcard, but if it saves enough for this trip, he's prepared to get one.

Thanks in advance.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just been told that he can also go from Hereford if it's cheaper, leaving after 12 and arriving back before 5.

Thanks

Sorry for the edits of the dates :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get cheap Arriva Trains Wales (ATW) Advance fares from Cardiff (CDF) to Manchester (MAN). From MAN, there are cheap fares on TransPennine Express (TPE) to Scotland.

It is also worth looking at alighting from ATW at Crewe, and getting a Virgin Advance from there.

It is probably worth getting a Railcard, especially if using TPE as he'd get 50% off those fares if the booking is made on the TPE website.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Having tried for cheap South Wales - Scotland before, I would agree with Yorkie. I found the best option was a split at Crewe in the end, all of the through fares I found must have been set by XC, as they were ridiculously high compared to the other options!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Last time I did it myself I split at London, but it is probably a bit close to the date to get the best deals here.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
via London, when the fares are first released, is cheaper than XC! You can get Cardiff to Finsbury Pk (including LU) for around £11, and London to Bridge of Allan for £19 (EC) or £14 (VT). But once the very cheapest deals via London sell out, it gets more expensive via London. In any case, avoid XC as they are extremely overpriced.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have been to the North East and to Scotland by splitting in London. But you do have to book early! I used to get some excellent FC Advance fares with GNER!

As I like the 175's on ATW I'm quite happy to go via Crewe or Manchester and have a ride up the WCML!

Established Member
I've managed to get the outward down to £24 with a railcard by going to Manchester and then Edinburgh, with 4 connections in total on the 23rd, or £29.30 on the 26th with 4 connections (got it to 26.65, but that's 6 connections to make).

Still working on the return.

My brain hurts :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We've decided that it's just too complicated to get tickets we can actually afford, so just going to drive instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.