• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff to Bristol airport buses

mrmartin

I was reading that Bristol airport has hit record passenger numbers. However, public transport access from Cardiff/South Wales is pretty poor. You either have a train + bus combo which involves a fairly annoying change, or National Express.

The National Express service is decent, taking just over an hour (much faster than train + bus combo).

However, it's horribly infrequent which isn't ideal at all with air route delays (at least on return journeys). I am surprised there aren't passenger loadings to justify an hourly service given how pants Cardiff airport is, especially for early or late flights when trains aren't running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
Didn't First Cymru try extending the X10 from Cardiff to Bristol Airport?

RJ

Established Member
I used one of my Cardiff based buses to pick someone up from there before. It’s a fair old way from Cardiff, doesn’t feel that far but took a good hour and 20 minutes in the evening.

While I was in the coach stand, I did see a Megabus blinded for Cardiff there. I was previously unaware of its existence. Truth be told I’d probably use that over a bus + train connection. Pity the airport isn’t on the rail network but it seems to do ok.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I was reading that Bristol airport has hit record passenger numbers. However, public transport access from Cardiff/South Wales is pretty poor. You either have a train + bus combo which involves a fairly annoying change, or National Express.

The National Express service is decent, taking just over an hour (much faster than train + bus combo).

However, it's horribly infrequent which isn't ideal at all with air route delays (at least on return journeys). I am surprised there aren't passenger loadings to justify an hourly service given how pants Cardiff airport is, especially for early or late flights when trains aren't running.
My opinion on the NatEx link is that because it's only Cardiff and Newport, the potential reach is limited and most people in South Wales would be forced to either use another route or another mode of transport to connect into the 212 and who really wants to faff around with that when they are travelling to/from an Airport? For NatEx to make the 216 more useful though would require a lot of investment. Current PVR is 2, a 90 minute service would bring this up to 3 buses needed and an hourly service would end up using 5 buses with NatEx (could be done with 4 buses but NatEx like to give proper layover for recovery time and to ensure drivers get more break). The other issue is that you'd probably need to extend the route along the M4 corridor which is already over-coached (You could probably 1/2 the number of coaches on the M4 west of Cardiff and still have more than enough capacity), unless NatEx can distance the route from being part of the coach network to instead be a Oxford Airline/X5/Falcon kind of coach service where people see it as a turn up and travel coach for local travel as well as being an Airport link for longer distances

Got potential but in my opinion, I think it would be difficult to make it really useful and attractive without a lot of additional costs.

route101

Established Member
Would need to something like the Citylink AIR service at least an hourly frequency.

anthony263

Established Member
Could run it hourly linking the two airports at Cardiff and Bristol.

The overnight 216 was reasonably quiet except the 0230 was always well used by passengers going for flights as well as airport staff .

It ran every 2 hours most of the time however traffic was bloody terrible I've once been 2 hours late when I used to drive it pre covid

AlastairFraser

Established Member

Would an hourly express service Bristol Parkway - Long Ashton P and R - Bristol Airport work better for the people of South Wales/Gloucs/Wiltshire?
That would give you a time of around 50 mins from Bristol Parkway to the Airport, and there's plenty of bus/train connectivity at most stops.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Would an hourly express service Bristol Parkway - Long Ashton P and R - Bristol Airport work better for the people of South Wales/Gloucs/Wiltshire?
That would give you a time of around 50 mins from Bristol Parkway to the Airport, and there's plenty of bus/train connectivity at most stops.
Rather than Parkway, you might as well head to Temple Meads - might take longer but higher frequency on the A1.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Rather than Parkway, you might as well head to Temple Meads - might take longer but higher frequency on the A1.
I was suggesting this as a new offering - the current option of going to Temple Meads and changes is cited above as unsatisfactory.
Hence the option of Parkway (which offers better connections for most of South Wales outside Newport/Cardiff), plus Long Ashton P and R also offers connections from all over western Bristol, Clevedon, Nailsea on public transport (plus driving and drop off from elsewhere).
The A1 doesn't quite cut it for a lot of those options, and Bristol Airport drop off charges aren't exactly cheap.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I was suggesting this as a new offering - the current option of going to Temple Meads and changes is cited above as unsatisfactory.
Hence the option of Parkway (which offers better connections for most of South Wales outside Newport/Cardiff), plus Long Ashton P and R also offers connections from all over western Bristol, Clevedon, Nailsea on public transport (plus driving and drop off from elsewhere).
The A1 doesn't quite cut it for a lot of those options, and Bristol Airport drop off charges aren't exactly cheap.
I think the earlier issue was about the attractiveness of changing per se rather than Temple Meads i.e. having a direct service

There's as many trains from South Wales/Gloucs/Wilts to TM as Parkway. I think my point was if I was making that journey, I think I'd be happier relying on the A1 every 12 mins to get to the Airport than an hourly service to Parkway.

The exile

Established Member
Not quite sure what’s so particularly annoying about the change - except for those with large young families or exceeding the standard baggage allowance - who are unlikely to use public transport at all. After all, you need to “change” from car to bus from many airport car parks anyway.

TravelDream

I've used the service multiple times.

I have to say that take-up on the route is very poor. I am surprised National Express still run the route - especially in the winter season.

It's unusual to have ten or more passengers on the route. Just the other week, there were three of us onboard - all of us traveling together! I was the only one once.

I know some will reply that more would use the service if it were more frequent (it's already runs ten times a day), but the demand just isn't there.

Plus the train is generally more convenient for most. At Temple Meads, the bus stops just outside the station door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caaardiff

Do Bristol Airport subsidise the route in any way? They are heavily focused on growth and a large proportion of their passengers come from South Wales which continues to be the downfall of Cardiff Airport.
There are many people from South West and West Wales using Bristol so i'm surprised they've never explored a Swansea - Swansea Unit - Port Talbot - Bridgend - Cardiff - Cardiff Uni - Newport - Bristol Airport route.
When booking on NatEx it's a 3hr15 up to 4hr30 journey from Swansea - Bristol Airport, with connections either at Cardiff or Bristol Bus station. The difficulty with Cardiff is that NatEx go from Sophia Gardens coach station, so connection options aren't in any way attractive when coming from surrounding areas whether on local services or other NatEx service.

There are no train West of Cardiff that call at Temple Meads that would connect with the A1. So a direct coach from Swansea may be more attractive.

volvob12

I noticed earlier that Cymru Coaches are starting a new Flixbus Swansea - Bridgend - Cardiff -Newport - Bristol Airport service, basically the old Greyhound 100 service that First Cymru used to run.

It will run 5 times a day, it’ll be interesting to see the timetable vs the Nat Ex 216.

FlixBus launches Bristol Airport route in partnership expansion with Cymru Coaches​

Created: 15th Apr 2024
The UK’s fastest growing coach network, FlixBus, is expanding its partnership with Cymru Coaches from April, adding Bristol Airport as a new destination for passengers.
With tickets available now, starting from £2.99, the new service will operate five times a day between Bristol Airport, Newport, Cardiff city centre, Bridgend, Swansea University and Swansea city centre.
The service will also offer more sustainable, affordable travel options for consumers between Bristol city centre and South Wales.
Andreas Schorling, Managing Director of FlixBus UK said:
“Adding Bristol Airport to our network is a key part of our strategy to drive forward our mission to be the largest coach network in the country, and we expect to see strong demand ahead of the peak travel season this summer. Following the successful launch of airport routes such as Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester, this will be a major expansion area for us.”
The FlixBus UK network encompasses more than 60 destinations, including regular daily routes between London Gatwick and Heathrow Airport for Bristol and Wales.
The network will now include Bristol Airport, which welcomed 9.8 million passengers in 2023, the busiest year in the Airport's history.
Schorling continued: “Providing this new Bristol Airport coach service offers great value, low-carbon and convenient travel options for passengers.
“FlixBus is also leading the way for innovative, sustainable transport, with our recently launched pioneering electric coach service for cities in England and Wales, a prime example of our dedication to decarbonisation.”
Swansea-based Cymru Coaches, which partnered with FlixBus in summer 2022, announced it will be growing its commitment to the network, with a Van Hool vehicle in FlixBus green livery.
Steve Pearce, Managing Director at Cymru Coaches said:
“The success of our partnership with FlixBus has been exceptional, a real collaboration with ambition and dedication!
“We’re really proud to be growing with the travel tech brand, as its first operator to deliver Bristol Airport services for the network.”
“Cymru Coaches has been a dedicated operator for our network for nearly two years, providing a consistent, high-quality service, and we look forward to many more years of collaboration,” Schorling added.
Bristol Airport also recently announced its Sustainability Strategy to become net zero across its operations by 2030, while travel tech company FlixBus launched a long-distance zero emissions coach pilot between Newport, Bristol, and London.
Rupert Lawrie, Commercial Director at Bristol Airport commented:
“We’re committed to growing the number of passengers accessing the Airport by public transport. We’re delighted that Flixbus will provide a brand-new link between Swansea and the Airport, and a new option for the hundreds of thousands of passengers that travel to and from South Wales each year.”

Snow1964

Established Member
There's as many trains from South Wales/Gloucs/Wilts to TM as Parkway. I think my point was if I was making that journey, I think I'd be happier relying on the A1 every 12 mins to get to the Airport than an hourly service to Parkway.

The big problem with the trains is that Bristol airport has lots of flights going out from 6am to 7am. And getting a train which allows you to get a bus at 4 or 5am isn't possible.

The airport has the majority of flights doing Europe or Med or Canaries twice a day, so you get a rush (and long security) for early flights, then virtually nothing until lunchtime. Then a second wave early to mid afternoon with flights returning in evening.

Often the evening return flights mean that trains to many destinations have stopped, especially if flight arrives bit late.

So the reality is for many people they either cannot get rail and bus in morning, or can't on return. Hence lots of people end up driving, simply because trains don't match the flight times in one direction.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The big problem with the trains is that Bristol airport has lots of flights going out from 6am to 7am. And getting a train which allows you to get a bus at 4 or 5am isn't possible.

The airport has the majority of flights doing Europe or Med or Canaries twice a day, so you get a rush (and long security) for early flights, then virtually nothing until lunchtime. Then a second wave early to mid afternoon with flights returning in evening.

Often the evening return flights mean that trains to many destinations have stopped, especially if flight arrives bit late.

So the reality is for many people they either cannot get rail and bus in morning, or can't on return. Hence lots of people end up driving, simply because trains don't match the flight times in one direction.
True - my comment was in response to (any) trains to Parkway rather than Temple Meads and a connecting bus.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I noticed earlier that Cymru Coaches are starting a new Flixbus Swansea - Bridgend - Cardiff -Newport - Bristol Airport service, basically the old Greyhound 100 service that First Cymru used to run.

It will run 5 times a day, it’ll be interesting to see the timetable vs the Nat Ex 216.
Arrivals at the Airport are 04:05, 07:05, 13:00, 16:15, 22:10. Departing Bristol Airport 05:25, 08:30, 14:20, 17:35, 23:30. The service is due to be expanded at the end of May as well to include an additional 3 departures each way giving an overall 8 buses per day each way. Stops will be Swansea Bus Station, Swansea Uni (Bay Campus), Bridgend Designer Outlet, Cardiff North Road, Cardiff East Park and Ride, Newport Train Station and 3 trips per day, each way will serve Bristol City Centre (Set down only towards Airport, pick up only from Airport).

Down sides of Flixbus versus a proper bus service is the lack of local fares. No tickets from Newport to Cardiff. Bristol Airport - City Centre not allowed.