• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff to Ebbw Vale line, Via Newport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypops

Hi,

I have a question about travelling between Cardiff and stations on the Ebbw Vale line, which I hope somebody can help me with.

I believe that currently, excepting days where timetable alterations are in place, that a Cardiff-Rogerstone ticket is not valid via Newport as it is not served by a direct service (NWP-Rogerstone). Is this correct - or are there any easements which allow it?

Would the situation be different if the ticket was Cardiff-Pye Corner (less than 3 miles from Newport station)?

Secondly, when the bi-hourly service starts on the Ebbw Vale line, the currently advertised plan is 1 tph to Cardiff, and 1 tph to NWP. If this is the case, will travelling via Newport become valid (excepting any negative easements introduced)? And if so, will it be possible to stop / start short on a weekly season? My intuition sayys yes, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
No expert, but I can't see how via Newport could be valid, as you would then have to double back via Cardiff to get to anywhere on the Ebbw Vale line.

I would expect it to be fine when a direct service Newport - Ebbw Vale starts.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If we take it that routes up to 3 miles longer than the shortest route by regular scheduled services are permitted, and if we accept the existence of track to form a route, then it would be valid if it was just under 3 miles.

Whether it's over or under 3 miles or not is difficult to say; it depends on how exactly you measure it, but
it looks like it might be just over 3miles longer to go via Newport.

Status
Not open for further replies.