• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff/Valleys advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

postye

Hi,

Is there anybody with some good knowledge of the valleys? I'm heading there for a couple of days and want to cover the Treherbert and Aberdare branches.
As they are mainly single track I was wondering if there was a bus between the 2 termini that would be quicker than heading down to Pontypridd and back out again?

I remember when I did a valleys ranger before it included Stagecoach buses and I went up to Rhymney and got a bus across to Merthyr Tydfil and wondered if there was a similar bus between the other two that would save any time?

Also any other tips in the area welcome.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

Not aware of a direct bus from Aberdare to Treherbert. When I last looked at doing this, doubling back was just as quick. Remember that it's a bit of a hike between the platforms at Pontypridd.

postye

Not aware of a direct bus from Aberdare to Treherbert. When I last looked at doing this, doubling back was just as quick. Remember that it's a bit of a hike between the platforms at Pontypridd.

Thanks Keith, at least doubling back gets the passing loops in as well especially if its not any quicker.

Yes I remember the platforms being some distance apart at Pontypridd when I went there last year, I've given myself a minimum of 12 mins there so should be ok.

Cheers

Kite159

Veteran Member
There is a direct bus between Aberdare & Merthyr Tydfil

Looking at google maps, it suggests a route 172 bus to "Sports Centre" in Ystrad Rhondda which connects with a route 130 bus to Treherbert (or you could train it from Ystrad Rhondda).

Although time-wise, not that much in it, any savings made by taking the bus could be eaten up by traffic

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Treherbet to Aberdare is a lost link (metaphorically) - we tried it once , assured we cold gt a taxi - but the sole operative at T/bet was attending a funeral ! - a classic Welsh scenario - so with regret we retraced our steps. Shame - as the road over the top is impressive with superb views on a clear day to Mid Wales and beyond , with some impressive glacial topographical features....

Status
Not open for further replies.