• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career as a Crossing Keeper - Basingstoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love life

Hi All

I can see some opportunities have come up for Crossing Keeper at Basingstoke. Just wondering by sides the obvious. What would this entail in terms of what areas you would cover, do you manage signal aspects, GSMR calls, emergency calls ect

Is anyone able to give me to proper run down of duties and areas you would cover? Are you effectively a signaller or just man the barriers up and down?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TSG

I don't know anything about the job itself but I think I know where it will be. I may be wrong but I don't think there are any crossing keeper desks at BASC, so presumably this is for BROC. Currently there are two signallers workstations and one crossing keepers workstation, with another one of each to be added in August. These workstations will cover the Feltham area, and Wokingham too from February. That is roughly Earley - Blackwater/Wokingham - Richmond/Shepperton - Norbiton and Twickenham/Staines - Windsor/Ascot - Frimley/Virginia Water - Chertsey/Feltham and Whitton - Chiswick/Kew Bridge triangle. As this area has ARS I'm not sure the signallers do much managing aspects, so the crossing keepers don't have the controls to do it. The workstations will be purely for crossings I believe, as each signaller will only have a couple of crossings each at most. This area covers MCB CCTV crossings at Grove Park, Wood Lane, Strawberry Hill, Hampton, Mays, Datchet, Thorpe Lane, Pooley Green, Egham, Rusham, Chertsey, Sunningdale, Camberley, Star Lane and Wokingham. I don't think you'd have time to be bored :)

cin88

Train approaches, barriers down, press crossing clear, give the signaller the slot, train passes, put the slot back, barriers up, repeat ad infinitum. At least that's what it is for CCTV-MCB and MCB Crossing Keepers. You have absolutely no interaction with the trains or the signalling system outside of your crossing controls and the slots for the protecting signals.

Crossing Keepers are paid as grade 1 Signallers but aren't Signallers themselves (however you may encounter relief Signallers working Crossing Keeper shifts), you don't go to Signalling School, as far as I know all the training is done on the job.

Jaysub

I don't know anything about the job itself but I think I know where it will be. I may be wrong but I don't think there are any crossing keeper desks at BASC, so presumably this is for BROC. Currently there are two signallers workstations and one crossing keepers workstation, with another one of each to be added in August. These workstations will cover the Feltham area, and Wokingham too from February. That is roughly Earley - Blackwater/Wokingham - Richmond/Shepperton - Norbiton and Twickenham/Staines - Windsor/Ascot - Frimley/Virginia Water - Chertsey/Feltham and Whitton - Chiswick/Kew Bridge triangle. As this area has ARS I'm not sure the signallers do much managing aspects, so the crossing keepers don't have the controls to do it. The workstations will be purely for crossings I believe, as each signaller will only have a couple of crossings each at most. This area covers MCB CCTV crossings at Grove Park, Wood Lane, Strawberry Hill, Hampton, Mays, Datchet, Thorpe Lane, Pooley Green, Egham, Rusham, Chertsey, Sunningdale, Camberley, Star Lane and Wokingham. I don't think you'd have time to be bored :)
hi,
yes its at broc,they advertised for 10 crossing keepers last year for that area but said some have moved on already so theres anther 2 iv interviewed for now.
does any one know the safety vision as that what was one of the questions one,i gave them the safety msg for this answer...hmoe safe every day but wasnt sure if it was the correct answer for enough points.

Also who is the customer for a signaller/crossing keeper?

mac

You can be a grade 2 crossing keeper and not go to signalling school

TSG

Train approaches, barriers down, press crossing clear, give the signaller the slot, train passes, put the slot back, barriers up, repeat ad infinitum. At least that's what it is for CCTV-MCB and MCB Crossing Keepers. You have absolutely no interaction with the trains or the signalling system outside of your crossing controls and the slots for the protecting signals.
You're sat next to the signallers, don't think there's any slots in the final design. Auto-raise too. Even easier...

cin88

You're sat next to the signallers, don't think there's any slots in the final design. Auto-raise too. Even easier...

Until one of the crossings goes wrong or otherwise needs local control, then suddenly the signaller becomes very interested in what you're doing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.