• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hlaanc

Hi, I have passed all my tests and interviews with a TOC and am waiting for the next stage. I'm currently a secondary maths teacher of 10 years and think about a career change every September through to Christmas! Now it's getting closer to becoming a reality, I'm nervous about changing and wondering, for those that changed careers to become a train driver, what you did before? How does driving compare to your old career?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi Hlaanc and welcome to the forum, and congratulations!

previous job to driving I was a floor layer for a small company. All sorts come from all different backgrounds into the railway and driving is no exception. My personal opinion is it will be the best thing you’ll ever do. When you’re done at work, you’re done. No homework to mark, no working after hours. The t&cs are amazing compared to anything I’d ever known and the money is incredible for 4 day weeks. Of course there is some down sides like keeping up with your rules and traction/routes, and of course the shift work. But once you get your feet under the table you’ll regret not doing it years ago.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, I have passed all my tests and interviews with a TOC and am waiting for the next stage. I'm currently a secondary maths teacher of 10 years and think about a career change every September through to Christmas! Now it's getting closer to becoming a reality, I'm nervous about changing and wondering, for those that changed careers to become a train driver, what you did before? How does driving compare to your old career?
To echo what @PringlePopper1 said, you won’t regret it. I was on the railway for another TOC before making the leap, and although this year hasn’t exactly gone to plan, I’m glad I did it. I always told myself I’d not be one of those people who moan about their work and do nothing about it. I started to dislike my job (mainly because I was dealing with the same idiots day in, day out....the job was a nice little number, but I found I wasn’t enjoying it like us used to), so I did something about it.

Efini92

Established Member
You’ll also find if you’re at a TOC with 156 rest days you’re off more than a teacher anyway

Jlob2804

Congrats. I imagine with your experience you could go back to being a teacher if you don't like being a train driver anyway? You've beaten lots of other applicant's to be where you are so just enjoy/work hard at the training and see if you like the role.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
A few guys and girls I used to work with are ex-teachers. None of them are/were drivers (they may be now, been a few years since I spoke to them) but absolutely none of them regretted getting out of teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.