• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Career progression from operative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brann112233

Hi guys,
First time post, wondering if anyone can offer me some advice please.
I'm currently in the process of applying for various operative roles within Network Rail (Signal maintenance, inspection/lubrication and off track) and have an interview coming up.
Im a qualified mechanical maintenance fitter with an HNC in mechanical engineering. I am working with a large engineering firm at moment.
This would be a bit of a career change for me, so I am willing to put in graft as an operative but ideally would look to progress in the future (technician?). What are the general prospects for progression within Network Rail and do you think my qualifications would help me in this regard. Or is it more based on experience.
I would be taking a pay cut, so would really like to know what long-term prospects would be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Craig

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brann112233

Thanks very much for that. Looks really interesting.
Description says predominantly Doncaster / East Anglia but sites nationwide. Im near Edinburgh but willing to travel so could be worth a try.
Would really like to get into rail industry, but no experience. Looks like a good route in.
In regards to network rail operator jobs I'm guessing the signal maintenance would likely offer me most opportunity for progression.
Cheers again for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.