• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick2678

At 45 yrs old is it generally to old to get into rail industry. Ive been looking at trying to get into depot train driving to no avail. Any ideas of what jobs would suit someone of my age. Limited to jobs in m/cr and surrounding areas as kids in school. Thanks in advance. Rick

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy-mc

At 45 yrs old is it generally to old to get into rail industry. Ive been looking at trying to get into depot train driving to no avail. Any ideas of what jobs would suit someone of my age. Limited to jobs in m/cr and surrounding areas as kids in school. Thanks in advance. Rick

Just keep patient and keep looking. if you just want to get onto the railway then you should find a customer service role pretty good like platform, barriers or booking office. but I wouldn't give up on wanting to be a driver, someone on my course was 52 and had never been in the rail industry, as long as you can give a company a good 5 years (which I think is the length of time it takes to recoup their costs) then you have just as much opportunity as anyone els

eriks

No it's not at all. Use your experience to your advantage at the application stage, and show that you are open minded and keen to learn at interview. Then you've got a good chance. If you approach it with the attitude that 45 is probably too old you and can't convince yourself, you'll never convince others. That's why some people in the industry have struggled to get promotion. "I've done this job for 18 years so I deserve promotion......" Does that say to your employer that you are keen to stretch and learn new things? No, it says that you have a fixed mind set and they'll move to the next candidate.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Don't know about drivers, but I know several signallers that were in their early/mid 50's when they joined.

rick2678

Bloody hell feel like a teenager compared to u lot haha. No seriously thanks alot guys it's spurred me on. It just gets a bit disheartening getting knock backs but I'm certainly not Gona give up. One thing I've learnt off this forum its a long process from start to finish. Thanks again Rick ☺

Spikeylado

Hi mate I`m 48 and i have passed everything and i am currently "on hold" waiting for a position as a conductor with Arriva. Go for it your defo not to old!

laps3

I'm 48 too and I start with LM as a Trainee Senior Conductor on Monday! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.