• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle (CAR) to Blackpool (any)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
hi.

Cheepest option tiket wise for a return trip going out on a Fri and returning Sun/Mon with disabled railcard. Need full flexibilitty due to plans when there therefore advances etc not an option. Sorry its simple but NRE cant seam to make up its mind as its given me several answers and in the past have used advances splitting at Preston. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
From what I can see using TPE's website is £27 off peak return - within a month or an anytime return at £51.50

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
is that using TPE only? Not major from CAR>PRE but maybe more so after that. Thanks.

Routed via Lancaster. The SVR has restriction code 2T, valid any train after 0415 & BoJ permitted on both legs, so the Anytime is pretty much pointless (it's really just there as a penalty fare for those who don't buy before boarding, although you'd be permitted to buy the SVR on-board as a DSB holder).

What problems were you having with the NRE site? It shows all trains with this fare for me.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Carlisle - Blackpool North Off Peak Return. ROUTE Lancaster priced at £27.80 , is valid via any Operator, as long as you travel via Lancaster.

The Anytime Return is £51.50 for Carlisle to Blackpool North again Route Lancaster and valid via any Operator providing you travel via Lancaster.

Hope this clarifys everything for you blindtraveller.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Carlisle - Blackpool North Off Peak Return. ROUTE Lancaster priced at £27.80 , is valid via any Operator, as long as you travel via Lancaster.

The Anytime Return is £51.50 for Carlisle to Blackpool North again Route Lancaster and valid via any Operator providing you travel via Lancaster.

Hope this clarifys everything for you blindtraveller.

thanks it does indeed cheers.
Lexy Boy, it wasnt offering me the cheeper tiket at first, then it did but was insisting I travel via cumbrian coastal0working changing Lancaster0and sometimes Barrow also! When I asked it to get rid of that and only show me fast services i.e via the WCML it wouldnt offer me the £27 tiket and couldnt get why as was adhearing to the rules.

A further attempt it only offered me it on TPE wìch is ok but a bit restrictive after PRE so wanted to check it!

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Strange; maybe the times you were looking at had gaps in service resulting in the suggestion of roundabout routes.

Make sure you select the "Return fares" tab as NRE shows single fares by default if there is a combination cheaper than a return. The routeing information is shown to the left of the price; unless it specifies "TPE Only" or similar, it will be valid on any operator.

dave87016

Established Member
I thought DSB ( Disabled RailCard Holders ) could only buy discounted tickets on board East Coast trains if they dont purchase tickets at the earliest opportunity ( staffed stations etc) I stand to be corrected if im wrong

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I thought DSB ( Disabled RailCard Holders ) could only buy discounted tickets on board East Coast trains if they dont purchase tickets at the earliest opportunity ( staffed stations etc) I stand to be corrected if im wrong

Hmm, you may be right here; reading around there seems to have been a staff briefing (for all TOCs I assume) advising that discretion should be used and DSB holders to be allowed to buy on-board. However, the T&Cs do state that tickets must be bought before travel.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Strange; maybe the times you were looking at had gaps in service resulting in the suggestion of roundabout routes.

Make sure you select the "Return fares" tab as NRE shows single fares by default if there is a combination cheaper than a return. The routeing information is shown to the left of the price; unless it specifies "TPE Only" or similar, it will be valid on any operator.

thats what was odd, I had all that in correctly and as to service there was a faster working 10 mins after the slower routing!
It was clearly just having an off day as have done this journey multiple times and usually with a split at CAR as my start point normally is EDB and have usually got an unused portion of an off peek return kicking round for that as do it regularly. The rest is usually no bother but was this time. Anyway resolved now so thanks all.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hmm, you may be right here; reading around there seems to have been a staff briefing (for all TOCs I assume) advising that discretion should be used and DSB holders to be allowed to buy on-board. However, the T&Cs do state that tickets must be bought before travel.

there is inconsistancy here between tocs - some are good, others not so. Should point out I was buying prior to travel or rather will be when I do it but it has been allowed in one form or another for as long as I can recall
and is helpfull particular at stations with TVMs which as a blindy I cant use but no tiket office available.

Odly enough the TOC iv had most bother with has been East Coast!

Status
Not open for further replies.