• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Platform 3 Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_10

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but anyone knows why Platform 3 at Carlisle is closed at the moment, all blocked off by barriers yet all seems normal from what I can see. The info boards only apologising about P3 being closed.

According to RTT, it seems it was closed yesterday(18th Jan) and today but it might be opened tomorrow as trains are scheduled to stop there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cumberlandkev

It was closed on Thursday last week when I passed through. There seemed to be a problem up high near to the footbridge - it was very windy so I just guessed some problem with roof? I am sure a definitive answer will be along soon!

CallySleeper

Established Member
The train describer berths currently display "ROOF" and "SHUT", draw your own conclusions...

Also through lines B and C.

From what I have been told, the roof has been damaged in the high winds recently, and so the platform will remain closed until suitable repairs/checks have been made.
However, I was under the impression that this would have been done last weekend.

chiltern trev

From today's News and Star - http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/carlisle-station-platforms-closed-after-roof-glass-fall-1.1187442

Carlisle station platforms closed after roof glass fall

Published at 08:16, Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Three platforms at Carlisle’s Citadel railway station were closed after glass from the roof crashed to the ground.

Over the weekend, three platforms – platforms 3, 4, and 7 – were cordoned off as staff carried out emergency checks on the roof, covering parts of it in safety netting.

Officials at Network Rail, which owns the station, blamed recent storm weather but said they took immediate action to cordon off all areas of platform where there was possible risk of falling glass.

A spokesman for Network Rail said a full inspection of the roof was carried out over the weekend after it was damaged by strong winds.

He added this revealed repairs were needed to some of the glass and parts of the roof’s structure.

“Many of these repairs have been carried out and netting installed in other areas as a precaution,” he said.

“We will replace the panes of glass which have been removed but this will have to take place when the railway is closed and dates have not been confirmed.

“Further repairs were made yesterday January 19 and all platforms are due to reopen today [January 20th]."

Paul_10

Ironically the one thing I did not look or really thought about was the roof, in some ways, it sounds quite obvious now.

Also to note that the ramp on P4 upto the footbridge was also closed off yesterday.

causton

Established Member
That was what puzzled me, assumed it was the track as saw 10mph TSR boards up and reballasted track, but odd bits were fenced off round the side of the stairs and ramps and the ramp from the waiting room to the bridge... didn't click till I read it here!

chiltern trev

Was in the station yesterday (Tuesday) evening. And as the newspaper article states, all platforms back in use. The 10mph TSRs were in place on platform 3 north end and the adjacent through line.

The roof north end vertical glass wall has 3 or 4 sections where there is now industrial cladding from top to bottom over 3 or 4 panes - wonder if that was where the glass fell out.

Lots of new ballast on the line through platform 4 (the main southbound platform) which has recently been relaid throughout with CWR - no heavy banging on the rail joints from through freight trains - but pendolinos still screeching a bit through the platform. (Was not particularly looking for new ballast at the time)

Status
Not open for further replies.