• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carlisle Road Model Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy91125

I'm starting a new model railway, I haven't done a layout before but I've only got a £150 budget for scenery, track and stations (excluding P&P). What can I buy? Updates start from when construction starts. And I've already got a Northern Class 142 until I get more rolling stock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DXMachina

Start by buying your local newspaper and loooking at classified ads for anyone selling boxes of track or toy train accessories. Often they'll just need a lick of paint to be as good as new. eBay is good for stuff too, particularly track and accessories

look at this search result for example

Additional tip - look for 'N/S rail' - Nickel-Silver (doesnt rust or tarnish), and ideally Code 100 - as rails of that profile will let most model trains made since about 1960 run. 00-gauge wheels made prior to the 1990s dont run well on Code-75 rail and you dont want to spend your budget on finescale replacement wheelsets !

if looking at older and cheaper options, Triang rail sets wont connect to modern Code 100 as the rails are offset, also they are steel and they rust. 'Hornby-Dublo' 2-rail track dates from 1959-1964 and will, though, and are nickel-silver. 'Hornby' System 6 track was all steel until the late 90s when it changed to nickel-silver.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I'm starting a new model railway, I haven't done a layout before but I've only got a £150 budget for scenery, track and stations (excluding P&P). What can I buy? Updates start from when construction starts. And I've already got a Northern Class 142 until I get more rolling stock!

Unless you are buying secondhand, avoid Hornby track, it's expensive. I'd suggest 'Peco Streamline', which is basically just pointwork and flexible track so it will require a cutting tool (unless you are very, very, very lucky). However, £150 isn't going to go far with new track (nevermind the scenery!).

Scenery - For buildings (including stations), card kits are quite cheap and relatively effective, though some require a bit of skill (or dexterity) to complete.

General tip - finding everything at the cheapest price is no good if you are spending twice the difference in postage costs, try to minimise postage costs wherever possible.

What I suggest you do is think really hard about what you want from the layout. It's all very well collecting bits of track and scenery, but if it isn't what you need you are just throwing money away. Planning software like AnyRail or SCARM might be useful for you.

Tommy91125

UPDATES
The Blog is down at the moment for maintenance
The draft plan, is big and may require various objects (ie. bed and cupboards) to be rotated or moved to make room for this layout.

Last edited:

SGS

I'm starting a new model railway, I haven't done a layout before but I've only got a £150 budget for scenery, track and stations (excluding P&P). What can I buy?

With a £150 budget, I think I'd try to buy as much second-hand as possible. Model railway exhibitions and toy fairs can be good sources of second-hand Peco streamline track, made-up Superquick card buildings, scatter materials, etc. Lots of stalls have rummage boxes where that kind of thing can be found. Just check the new prices of things you want beforehand, to be sure you're getting a bargain! There is a toy fair at Gateshead Stadium on Saturday (1st Feb) which isn't too far from you.

A lot depends on what the layout will contain, and how far you are on with it. You might find baseboards takes up a slice of your budget, if you don't already have those.

Tommy91125

With a £150 budget, I think I'd try to buy as much second-hand as possible. Model railway exhibitions and toy fairs can be good sources of second-hand Peco streamline track, made-up Superquick card buildings, scatter materials, etc. Lots of stalls have rummage boxes where that kind of thing can be found. Just check the new prices of things you want beforehand, to be sure you're getting a bargain! There is a toy fair at Gateshead Stadium on Saturday (1st Feb) which isn't too far from you.

A lot depends on what the layout will contain, and how far you are on with it. You might find baseboards takes up a slice of your budget, if you don't already have those.

I never thought about baseboards....oops!

DXMachina

Look for a demolition site, offer the site foreman 20 quid for a handful of wooden doors?

Or just look for a demolition site at night and remove same from the skips...

DJD200

Don't be afraid to put the word about. Had a mate who you'd never think would be iinterested in model railways, but his dad was. Sadly his dad died but I got his whole big layout for £50. It could be perfect for most of what you want and some spare bits.

DJD200

Bit of both really, structure and rolling stock. Its a kind of fantasy heritage layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.