• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmarthen to Aberystwyth "Better places in Wales for the money to be spent"

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamt958

I live locally in South Wales and I am in some local South Wales facebook railway groups. When the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth topic comes up, I consistently hear that the money could be spent better on other ideas in Wales.

My idea's are all based in and around South Wales but I am excited to see other peoples ideas about the whole country.

This topic is just a speculative idea as to where.

A couple of my ideas:

Maesteg to Swansea - The track is all in place, although as discussed on here a few years ago there is a bus service that is quicker without line speed improvement on the current diversionary only route between Tondu and Margam. Although new stops could be introduced at Cefn Cribwr, Kenfig Hill & Kenfig Industrial Estate.

Neath Valley Lines - They would require a reversal at Jersey Marine Junction to the new Swansea Parkway station being built, but Services to both Ollnwyn & Glynneath (potential reconnection to Tower Colliery and down to Cardiff via Aberdare (only 4 miles or so of track not in place).
Services Swansea (Fabian Way P&R) to Glynneath could then call at Llandarcy, Jersey Marine, Neath Abbey, Neath Riverside, Clyne, Resolven, Cwmgrach and Glynneath.

Bridgend Valley Lines - Services from Bridgend (Terminating at the little used bay Platform 3 or joinning/splitting with a maesteg service at Tondu etc) Could then travel to Ogmore Vale (the whole trackbed is a cycle path the whole way up in to the old station). and Pontycymmer (track in place but will need to be replaced). Pontycymmer services calling at Brynmennyn, Llangeinor and Pontycymmer. Ogmore Vale services calling at Brynmennyn, Blackmill, Lewistown&Pantyarwel and Ogmore Vale. (potentially on to Nantymoel via Wyndham although a bit more tricky).

New stations at Landore (for Liberty Stadium) & Reinstating the station at Cockett in Swansea.

Pontyclun to Beddau - Trackbed now a cycle track in locations and requires the reinstating of the level crossing on the main road near the retail park but stops at Talbot Green, Cross Inn & Beddau.

I look forward to seeing other hypothetical idea's and contributions to why mine would/wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adamt958

This should be called better spent in South Wales!

Apologies, i live in South Wales. I am only throwing ideas out that I know that would benefit places local to me, i do invite other people to put ideas forward. I look forward to seeing them...

gazthomas

Established Member
On that basis, Bangor to Caernarfon, but I do recall this being covered in another forum posting recently

adamt958

On that basis, Bangor to Caernarfon, but I do recall this being covered in another forum posting recently

Yes, I can't say i've ever been to either but i'm sure that was part of the parliamentary debate involving Carmarthen to Aberystwyth.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I live locally in South Wales and I am in some local South Wales facebook railway groups. When the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth topic comes up, I consistently hear that the money could be spent better on other ideas in Wales.

My idea's are all based in and around South Wales but I am excited to see other peoples ideas about the whole country.

This topic is just a speculative idea as to where.

A couple of my ideas:

Maesteg to Swansea - The track is all in place, although as discussed on here a few years ago there is a bus service that is quicker without line speed improvement on the current diversionary only route between Tondu and Margam. Although new stops could be introduced at Cefn Cribwr, Kenfig Hill & Kenfig Industrial Estate.

Neath Valley Lines - They would require a reversal at Jersey Marine Junction to the new Swansea Parkway station being built, but Services to both Ollnwyn & Glynneath (potential reconnection to Tower Colliery and down to Cardiff via Aberdare (only 4 miles or so of track not in place).
Services Swansea (Fabian Way P&R) to Glynneath could then call at Llandarcy, Jersey Marine, Neath Abbey, Neath Riverside, Clyne, Resolven, Cwmgrach and Glynneath.

Bridgend Valley Lines - Services from Bridgend (Terminating at the little used bay Platform 3 or joinning/splitting with a maesteg service at Tondu etc) Could then travel to Ogmore Vale (the whole trackbed is a cycle path the whole way up in to the old station). and Pontycymmer (track in place but will need to be replaced). Pontycymmer services calling at Brynmennyn, Llangeinor and Pontycymmer. Ogmore Vale services calling at Brynmennyn, Blackmill, Lewistown&Pantyarwel and Ogmore Vale. (potentially on to Nantymoel via Wyndham although a bit more tricky).

New stations at Landore (for Liberty Stadium) & Reinstating the station at Cockett in Swansea.

Pontyclun to Beddau - Trackbed now a cycle track in locations and requires the reinstating of the level crossing on the main road near the retail park but stops at Talbot Green, Cross Inn & Beddau.

I look forward to seeing other hypothetical idea's and contributions to why mine would/wouldn't work.

There is a fair amount of "historical" debate on these boards about South Wales options and I county myself as a proud South Walian by birth.

Look at some of the South Wales / Swansea metro options (I confess to having had some "off the record" conversations since retirement on these , as well as "working" assistance to do a fair bit for Wales generally but we won't go there now)

Cannot see Maesteg-Swansea as a clear runner , as there are plenty of options for "change at Bridgend" - off existing service patterns - every 30 mins would be great though. The economic drag of the Cardiff area will always trump Swansea commuting.

I have always had a soft spot for Neath - Aberdare , but a bit pricey I guess. No-one has really picked up on that yet. Maybe they never will.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why not - the existing Ebbw Vale service has done incredibly well - in normal times. All to play for I reckon. Adds volume to a well used corridor.

Should be relatively cheap, and will provide a massive boost for a desperately poor town.

PeterC

Established Member
Should be relatively cheap, and will provide a massive boost for a desperately poor town.
Looking at the trackbed on the map I suspect that the terminus would have to be be a little south of the optimal location but probably still worthwhile.

If I am reading Streetview correctly there seems to be a Tesco store in the way of any northward extension

anthony263

Established Member
Yet traffic now means the X3 Naesteg to Swansea bus is regularly getting delayed especially at peak times. It's not unknown for it to take 65 minutes or more at times to do the trip as I've found out driving that service. Theres plans for more housing around Pyle etc so a Maesteg to Swansea train service might not be such a bad idea.

Light rail to Porthcawl would be great as would a rail link to Ogmore vale but patching trains between Bridgend and Cardiff would still need to be sorted

anthony263

Established Member
Also spend the money finishing electrification to Maesteg and Swansea and the remaining parts of the valley lines

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Looking at the trackbed on the map I suspect that the terminus would have to be be a little south of the optimal location but probably still worthwhile.

If I am reading Streetview correctly there seems to be a Tesco store in the way of any northward extension

Yep station would have to be just south of Tesco. No point going further north.

adamt958

Yet traffic now means the X3 Naesteg to Swansea bus is regularly getting delayed especially at peak times. It's not unknown for it to take 65 minutes or more at times to do the trip as I've found out driving that service. Theres plans for more housing around Pyle etc so a Maesteg to Swansea train service might not be such a bad idea.

Light rail to Porthcawl would be great as would a rail link to Ogmore vale but patching trains between Bridgend and Cardiff would still need to be sorted

Can't ever see a light rail link to Porthcawl happening unfortunately, I was down at the old Nottage Halt not too long ago, the platform is in remarkably good condition.

an ogmore vale service could be sorted by splitting a train at tondu. E.g. running a 4 car 150/158 to tondu then splitting on to ogmore vale/maesteg.

Maesteg to Swansea seems like a common sense option as all of the track is in place, would just need to replace a gated crossings with lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.