• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmont (near Stonehaven) derailment - 12 August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing of a major derailment at carmont just north of Stonehaven. Hst hit a landslip, derailed and rolled down an embankment.
1T08 0638 Aberdeen - Queen Street
1 reported fatality
2 major injuries
Whole train off the line
1 coach on fire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saint66

The first new article I've seen on the story - https://news.stv.tv/north/emergency-services-rush-to-scene-as-train-derails?top

A train has derailed near Aberdeenshire after a night of flash flooding.

Police were called to the scene on Wednesday at around 9.43am near Stonehaven.

Emergency services are currently in attendance and the incident is ongoing.

A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesperson said: “Officers are currently responding to an incident on the line in Stonehaven.

ADVERT

“We were called at 9.43am, and are on scene alongside paramedics and the fire brigade.”

More to follow.

cf111

Established Member
Good grief how awful. The rain really was something last night, I personally haven't seen a thunderstorm like it in quite some time, if ever. My thoughts are with those caught up in this derailment and those on the railway and in the emergency services who are dealing with the aftermath.

Ibex

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Looks quite serious, thoughts with all those involved in this derailment.

To those saying about the time the emergency services appeared, consider that there is serious flooding in Stonehaven and the area looks remote, so it may have taken them some time with stretched resources.

Speed43125

One coach on fire as well apparently.
https://twitter.com/pipdunn/status/1293492477429723136

I’m hearing of Reports of one fatality and two serious injuries in a train derailment near Stonehaven this morning. 0638 Aberdeen-GLQS HST is reported off the rails with one coach on fire. Emergency services in attendance.

Rain was really something last night, heaviest in quite a while. Almost unsurprising something like this has happened, if tragic, especially with the reported fatality involved too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Looks like its an HST set that has been involved. Tragic news.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Looks quite serious, thoughts with all those involved in this derailment.

To those saying about the time the emergency services appeared, consider that there is serious flooding in Stonehaven and the area looks remote, so it may have taken them some time with stretched resources.

Plus, who knows what things like phone signals and radio receptions are like in an area like that. Establishing communication may have itself taken some time.

JaJaWa

Established Member
9998EE69-DE05-45DA-A1DB-C6701B791284.jpeg

Image via BBC Ben Phillips showing 30 emergency vehicles including air ambulance at the scene.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Just updated on the BBC

Emergency services are dealing with a derailed train near Stonehaven.

There are several fire appliances at the scene, and smoke can be seen.

It is not yet clear if there are any injuries.

Network Rail said it was investigating

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Extremely sad news. My thoughts go out to all those affected by this incident.

father_jack

Rain was really something last night, heaviest in quite a while. Almost unsurprising something like this has happened, if tragic, especially with the reported fatality involved too.

Coastguard helicopter en route from Glasgow Airport also. https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/?icao=406de7

Must have been a rough night up that way as no route available Dundee - Edinburgh.

(Via Cowdenbeath blocked due to landslide and via Kirkcaldy blocked due to heavy flooding.)

Established Member
Plus, who knows what things like phone signals and radio receptions are like in an area like that. Establishing communication may have itself taken some time.

surely the signaller will immediately notice a train not moving for 2 hours..

Peter C

Established Member
I've just heard about this online and it sounds dreadful. I can't imagine what it must be like for those involved but my thoughts go out to them.

-Peter

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Ianno87

Veteran Member
surely the signaller will immediately notice a train not moving for 2 hours..

This area is (I think) Absolute Block, so there may not be Track Circuits / Train Detection.

All the receiving signaller would know is the time the train was accepted from the previous 'box, not its exact location.

It would be "Train unsually long time in section" under AB rules. I don't know what the guidelines are before "how long before emergency services should be contacted".

Edit: See responses about train turning back too.

BenW390Fan

I'm wondering if it was cause of the heat or flooding, or if it even was weather. Best of luck to everybody involved

brad465

Established Member
Thoughts going out to everyone affected :/

Id have thought temporary speed restrictions would have been put in place to mitigate this sort of thing when flouding is predicted.
it's very tragic that something like this has happened.
Perhaps it's time to invest in sensors or something that can detect flooding like this, not sure whether the technology exists yet, it would be quite expensive I'd imagine but if it makes Britain's railways safer then it's good enough
If rainfall is hard and sudden enough it could be enough to cause a landslide on an otherwise stable bank. Whether the technology for detection exists or not, I would not be surprised if a subsequent investigation recommends reinforcement of every bank/cutting above a certain gradient and/or height.

Status
Not open for further replies.