Carnet tickets & Senior Railcards.

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by TonyR, 8 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyR

TonyR Member

Does the Senior Railcard discount apply to the purchase of a carnet book of tickets?

There is nothing I can see in the conditions that indicates it shouldn't - the tickets are described as off-peak and anytime standard class tickets (http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/carnet/) which are listed as eligible tickets for a discount in the Senior Railcard guidance (http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times-tickets/). Yet when I tried to buy them at the station I was told they weren't eligible.

Can anyone help enlighten me as to what the correct answer is and why?

Last edited: 8 Apr 2015
  2. RJ

RJ Established Member

The information/T&Cs link after selecting the railcard discounted carnet does say "Railcard: Child discounts but no Railcard discounts."

Last edited: 8 Apr 2015
  3. TonyR

TonyR Member

I've just tried it and it came up the same price - £54 - for a five ticket off-peak carnet whether you entered a Senior Railcard or not. But it still doesn't explain why a book of five standard off-peak single tickets does not qualify for a Senior Railcard discount.

4. Clip

Clip Established Member

No, as it is a TOC specific ticket which already offers you a discount then they will not offer an RC on it as that would be nearly half price.

The railcard link states this on what they are not valid on

5. TonyR

TonyR Member

Yes, but the carnet tickets are then 33% more expensive than a standard ticket bought with a Senior or Network Railcard

6. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Then don't buy Carnet tickets. Simples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.