• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carnforth - York - Carnforth - York - Carnforth movement logic

Viper

This week there are two rail tours involving York. The Whitby Flyer from KGX to Whitby, and The Edinburgh Flyer from York to Edinburgh.

The steam loco moved from Carnforth to York for the Whitby tour and is going back to Carnforth today. It's coming back to York tomorrow ready for the Edinburgh tour on Saturday, and will return to Carnforth on Sunday.

Does anyone know why would bother taking it back to Carnforth today just to bring it back tomorrow, instead of leaving it in York? I can't imagine York is short of places to leave a loco, the local chavs won't know how to nick it, and I'd have thought it would be easier to either put the crew up in York overnight, or send them back home on a passenger service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
It would need filling up with coal and formal checks before it works a train on the main line. I would think these are easier to do at its home base than with limited facilities at York?

1Q18

It would need filling up with coal and formal checks before it works a train on the main line. I would think these are easier to do at its home base than with limited facilities at York?
Coaling is definitely possible at York, railtour engines do it all the time. The NRM steaming bay is usually available as a safe space to dispose, stable and prepare visiting main line engines, but maybe it’s not available for some reason.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Coaling is definitely possible at York, railtour engines do it all the time. The NRM steaming bay is usually available as a safe space to dispose, stable and prepare visiting main line engines, but maybe it’s not available for some reason.
it had a Deltic and a 47 in it last Sunday!

The steam loco moved from Carnforth to York for the Whitby tour and is going back to Carnforth today. It's coming back to York tomorrow ready for the Edinburgh tour on Saturday, and will return to Carnforth on Sunday.
Is it the same loco?

Iskra

Established Member
Perhaps the crew changes, and the locomotives will be serviced, cleaned and kept warm overnight so will need to be supervised. On train staff may also return home to rotate and the train may be restocked with provisions.

Presumably the cost of doing everything needed in York and finding accommodation is more than at the home base, so therefore doesn’t make sense.