• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carr Mill station reopening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evergreenadam

Any news about whether this station will be built? Seems like an obvious case for reopening with a large residential hinterland stretching out to Haydock and a soon to be electrified service to Liverpool and Wigan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Probably waiting for that generous Mr Osborne to release some more money for Merseytravel................

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The last time there was a railway station there, it closed on 1st January 1917 and was on the Lancashire Union Railway line. So there has been a period of almost 97 years since then for consideration of reopening.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Probably waiting for that generous Mr Osborne to release some more money for Merseytravel................

Have Merseytravel themselves made any official view be known on this particular matter over the last five years ?

DavidL

Paul and Adam,

There is some information at my post http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1536318&postcount=14 that you might find useful.

The LCR report makes useful, if not encouraging, reading. Here's the link to save you following up my post:
http://moderngov.merseytravel.uk.net/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=264&MId=824

On a personal note, the station would be useful for me as it would make visiting family much easier!

About 3/4 years ago, when I lived in Laffak, the council put a plan together, including a presentation at the local Waterside pub. This was followed up by surveying residents about a scheme to redevelop the area, which would include generating sufficient funding for reinstatement of the station:
http://www.sthelens.gov.uk/media/151209/lps41.pdf

As far as I'm aware, the plan was adopted, but has been somewhat on the back burner since the perceived value of the development has dropped.

Hope that's of some use, best wishes,
David

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

DavidL

Thanks Paul, I've now caught up on the referenced thread.

I think that what you say is true - clearly both St Helens Council ans Merseytravel have aspirations for the station to be built - and it is a case of getting funding from somewhere. As you say, even if that is a case of burying it within another funding application.

As long as I can remember, Carr Mill station has been a priority of some form or another for both public bodies. I've been surveyed at least 3 times in 15 years by either Merseytravel or the council.

I learned two things at the public consultation, which may be useful for informing the debate:
-the council view it now, in conjunction with LPS 41, as a mechanism to tidy up the area - there's a derelict cafe, and two, I believe now vacant businesses in a small rectangle of land. The motor auction and paddock are I believe, the last active occupiers, houses on Woodlands Rd and Carr Mill Rd notwithstanding.
-there is a small degree of local opposition to the idea. Admittedly, some of this was simply ignorance or misinformation. Some residents did not appear to be aware that they had an active railway line around the corner and were concerned about a "new railway line" cutting through their estate. Conversely, some residents had the more reasonable concern surrounding increased foot and vehicular traffic in the area. The council plans did take some account of this concern, though steps such as proposing the dead end of Laffak Rd were more to do with satisfying highways-related concerns, according to the planning officer in attendance.

These points aside, securing funding is still a big deal - and seemingly some way in the distance, particularly when Merseytravel's priorities are laid out in the LCR document.

Best wishes
David

Status
Not open for further replies.