• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carry on Clagging 7? What a pile of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I've posted this on WNXX, but for those not subscribed on the forum there, I've re-posted it here for discussion here on your thoughts:

Before I begin, I have watched all previous Carry on Clagging DVD's, the Diesel ones that is. I got to understand it was basically pres lines only, and there were a couple of shots that had no clag at all, like one shot of 73129 humming to itself en-route to Cheltenham. Pointless yes but there were some other good stuff in there mind, from what I remember. I certainly don't recall wanting to take it back and never buy another one.

I bought Carry on Clagging 7 at the DRS Crewe open day, as it's one I haven't seen yet, and could be the last one, who knows? Looking on the back there is some good stuff, sounds like it should feature some brilliant clag shots...shouldn't it?

Well actually I found it rather boring, I don't know if anyone else who watched it agrees? The Type 1 section was a bit dull, only one loco creating thick clag, and shots like 20020 on the Bo'ness with no visible clag, not even a thin but of smoke. The 47 anniversary was average, sure there was some 47 clag, but ruined by some no clag/super light smoke shots. The other sections were drab, best ones was the triple deltic, 50026 and the 56 at the end filmed from a chopper (a real one, not a 20).

I mean where does the definition of 'clag' really come in? There was quite a lot of shots where there was just very light hazes of engine smoke, sometimes only just visible and not lasting any longer than 5 seconds, and even shots of just the tiniest speck of smoke that may as well not have been there. Even 37215 was clagging more on the GWSR gala than the shot's of 37215 on the DVD, which might have not been powering much on the section filmed at. Some of the Class 60's, 70's, 47's, 56's, D1015, DRS fleet ect are creating some clag of their own on the mainline and I'm surprised these don't get featured.

Don't get me wrong, some of the shots were great in that there was some engine noise or thrash, but it may as well just be titled 'Preserved Diesels At Work' or something as, to me, that's all it seems to be. The enjoyment was lost when Carry on Clagging 7 didn't feature much clag. I remember one of the older ones (CoC 4 or 5 maybe, or before) had a brilliant Prince of Clag section with D1041, thick clag from 37518 (also featured in CoC 7 but with less clag), Hymek and Deltic clag, the Carry on Clagging cup which was a laugh, other oddities like a DMU pluming the fields in smoke etc.

I'll be E-mailing Visions about the above, and questioning maybe adding some mainline loco's in too, there's probably some rather smokey shots missed there. I'd be happy donate one of a Colas 56 covering Westbury in smoke, or a 60 starting up in Newport covering a fog cloud over all 4 mainline tracks, or even a HST clagging away. Doesn't have to be modern, some older stuff can be included, much like they do in the series anyway.

It's just as bad on YouTube as it is, D1015 is creating MEGA CLAG here apparently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBPmEX5HyA

If that's not mega clag, then what is this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IinYRQLglMU

Is it just me that finds the CoC series is getting a bit dull? I prefer their other ones like 'Thrash'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.