• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Castle Cary footbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Can someone enlighten me on the footbridge on the west end of Castle Cary station please. Is it just used for the Glastonbury crowds?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bradshaw

Can someone enlighten me on the footbridge on the west end of Castle Cary station please. Is it just used for the Glastonbury crowds?
The bridge connects a footpath from Castle Cary to the station and beyond. It also acts as the means of getting between platforms.

Western Sunset

Established Member
That's the one at the eastern (London) end of the station. I'm talking about the much more recent structure at the western (country) end of the station.

Bradshaw

Apologies, I did not know there was one at that end. It does not show up on Google Maps nor on Apple maps.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks. I was surprised to see it when I walked down the path to the station yesterday afternoon. It's been constructed within the last 12 months; it just looks so out of place.

Last edited:

Western Sunset

Established Member
Open metal framework with quite steep steps up. Much higher than the present one - looked temporary to me. Not yet in use as fenced-off; that's why I thought it might've been for the Glastonbury crowds.

Bradshaw

Might be that the original bridge needs work being done on it. Alternatively it might be something to do with the engineering works at the end of the month. GWR service via Yeovil with other trains Padd to Taunton.

pdeaves

Established Member
It's a temporary structure put up earlier this year. It was originally intended for Glastonbury folk, though obviously that came to naut. It was assembled anyway to allow unhindered access for maintaining the permanent bridge.

Emaharg

The bridge is permanent enough to be lit up tonight with lights on the steps to prevent people tripping. Just passed 5 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.