• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cats.......!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
This thread will be a little controversial. Some on here will agree with me, many others will be sharpening the daggers. No matter, it has to be said.

Cats…… Or to be more accurate cat sh*t…….

My lawns (and my next door neighbours) seem to be a cat’s toilet. Most mornings I’ll find the dreaded cat sh*t. It’s bad enough at the best of times but this is the worst time of year as with the falling leaves it’s often impossible to see until you’ve stood in it. There’s surely little worse than the smell of trodden in cat sh*t. I have grandchildren who like to play on the lawn. Imagine when they come into the house with it on their shoes.

Cat owners will come up with all sorts of excuses for their cats.
‘Your can’t control a cat’, ‘Cats will roam where they want’, ‘Cats don’t have owners they have staff’.... etc… etc…. Others say cats are clean, they bury their sh*t. No they don’t…!!

I’ve tried every (humane) deterrent available. Nothing works. But why should I, and other non-cat owners, have to do this? Cat owners should be responsible for their cat. If they can’t be, don’t have one.

I believe that should you find cat sh*t on your property, you should be legally allowed to post it back through the cat owners letterbox.

I’m feeling the daggers in my back already……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Having a dog is one deterrent.
Prickly hedges help restrict where cats can access.
Other so-called remedies, such as sprinkling pepper on the lawn, mostly fail (even before rain washes the pepper away.)

peri

I think there is a gadget that detects movement and sends a spray of water in that direction, that should shift them!

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
There used to be a device on the route I'd walk to the train station (on the grass in front of someone's house) that was probably designed to keep cats away, but it kept annoying me whenever I walked by.
I'm not sure if that speaks good for my hearing range or bad for the manufacturing that it's low enough to be hearable by humans.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread will be a little controversial. Some on here will agree with me, many others will be sharpening the daggers. No matter, it has to be said.

My lawns (and my next door neighbours) seem to be a cat’s toilet. Most mornings I’ll find the dreaded cat sh*t. It’s bad enough at the best of times but this is the worst time of year as with the falling leaves it’s often impossible to see until you’ve stood in it. There’s surely little worse than the smell of trodden in cat sh*t. I have grandchildren who like to play on the lawn. Imagine when they come into the house with it on their shoes.

‘Your can’t control a cat’, ‘Cats will roam where they want’, ‘Cats don’t have owners they have staff’.... etc… etc….
All are valid.
I’ve tried every (humane) deterrent available. Nothing works. But why should I, and other non-cat owners, have to do this? Cat owners should be responsible for their cat. If they can’t be, don’t have one.
That is your opinion but is completely at odds with both the practical and the legal position.
I believe that should you find cat sh*t on your property, you should be legally allowed to post it back through the cat owners letterbox.

I can only assume you're missing the ";)" smiley/emoticon; you cannot be serious...

There used to be a device on the route I'd walk to the train station (on the grass in front of someone's house) that was probably designed to keep cats away, but it kept annoying me whenever I walked by.
I'm not sure if that speaks good for my hearing range or bad for the manufacturing that it's low enough to be hearable by humans.
Are you sure it's not a device to deter young people, such as my local Co-Op has?

In theory, if properly configured, humans should not be able to hear devices designed for animals such as cats:

...The ultrasonic sound produced is beyond that of human hearing, therefore we can't hear it but animals can. For more information on animal hearing ranges, click here....

SpeciesApproximate Range (Hz)
human64-23,000
dog67-45,000
cat45-64,000
cow23-35,000
horse55-33,500
sheep100-30,000
rabbit360-42,000
rat200-76,000
mouse1,000-91,000
gerbil100-60,000
guinea pig54-50,000
hedgehog250-45,000
raccoon100-40,000
ferret16-44,000
chinchilla90-22,800
bat2,000-110,000
beluga whale1,000-123,000
elephant16-12,000
porpoise75-150,000
goldfish20-3,000
catfish50-4,000
tuna50-1,100
bullfrog100-3,000
tree frog50-4,000
canary250-8,000
parakeet200-8,500
cockatiel250-8,000
owl200-12,000
chicken125-2,000

BJames

Established Member
Assuming I'm thinking of the same thing, I couldn't find a picture on Google - there were a few on a road near me that used to do my head in, it was set in the wrong place so would set off an agonising high pitched noise every time anyone walked past. I don't know how the owners dealt with it. If it was for cats then it probably was a manufacturing issue but I've heard them in multiple places so I'm not sure if it's designed for something else.

And apologies OP but I have to disagree. You could easily say the same about all other animals - bird, dog sh*t pervades parks and streets. Cats are comparatively clean animals, and they do try and bury their sh*t - perhaps you have a particularly cheeky cat living next door ;)

I have a cat and a dog. There is no way to control a cat that doesn't involve keeping them indoors. If you give it a quick google, many websites hasten to tell you that if you keep your cat indoors they can live a long and healthy life of up to 17 years, but conversely, this US study suggests that outdoor cats only live 2 to 5 years... Absolute nonsense - my cat is 13 years old and spends around 80% of his time outside, including nights 4-5 times a week (every day in the summer, but usually inside in the winter). Some cats by their individual nature prefer to be indoors - but I can't say we've ever had a problem with any of the outdoor cats in our area, and there are many.

warwickshire

On Moderation
According to Rspca website for cats online on flower beds you are allowed to place, rosethorn branches down on top of them to deter them, followed by on the grass sprinkler devices to sense cat and spray water into its direction to deter it.
However other various information is on there.

cb a1

Now that I don't have a cat, I also find cat sh*t on my lawns.
I know cats normally bury their sh*t and assumed that when they don't it's to mark the boundaries if their territory and this is why, supposedly spraying tiger or lion urine around the boundary of your property will keep them away.
Suggestion. If you can't beat them, join them and get yourself a cat, the bigger the better.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I don't know how the owners dealt with it.
Maybe they couldn't hear it but you still could.
Are you sure it's not a device to deter young people, such as my local Co-Op has?
Given the location of the house on a relatively quiet street, I doubt it would be for that.
In theory, if properly configured, humans should not be able to hear devices designed for animals such as cats:
Maybe it was just improperly configured

gg1

Established Member
I'll swap your cats for my badgers. Not only do they sh*t on the lawn, they also repeatedly dig up the lawn, bulbs and bedding plants.

peteb

Pepper, the white sort from a supermarket. Sprinkled near where cats "go" seems to deter them, but it needs dry weather obviously!

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
This matter often crops up on our local FB page, but I have to say that I've had cats for 50 years or so, 30+ years in the same house and I never see any cat sh*t.
One of my old cats - Dave - was incredibly meticulous in ensuring the sh*t was buried (if I saw him, that is)
Begs the question why some cats can bury it and others don't bother.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Pepper, the white sort from a supermarket. Sprinkled near where cats "go" seems to deter them, but it needs dry weather obviously!
Cayenne pepper is even stronger - but for goodness sake don't stand downwind when you sprinkle it.

That's a mistake you'll only ever make once.... trust me...

Benters

‘Your can’t control a cat’, ‘Cats will roam where they want’, ‘Cats don’t have owners they have staff’.... etc… etc…. Others say cats are clean, they bury their sh*t. No they don’t…!!

If they're leaving their mess on your borders, try using spent coffee grounds.
They can't stand the smell of them. Works for me.

Chrysalis

Cat owner here. I both agree and disagree. Personally, I love it when cats visit my garden, but that's just my own opinion. Re. Getting it on your shoes, maybe just don't wear shoes indoors? Shoes are almost guaranteed to have fecal matter on them anyway, even if you can't see it, so it's a good idea in general not to wear shoes indoors.

All of these things aside though, I think it's best if people keep their cats indoors. The outside in built up places is too dangerous for cats (cats, weird things they can eat, cruel people etc). Cats are also terrible for the wildlife.

I think it would be wrong to forbid a cat who's already used to going outside, but raise a kitten as an indoor cat and it will be perfectly able to be happy with mental stimulation from toys and other cats.

GCH100

Cats mark their teritory with their poo, so you need some way or other to shift it and shift the smell, the pset repelents are Liquid Lemon (such as jiff) or Vinegar as cats like neither, apparently.

BanburyBlue

This matter often crops up on our local FB page, but I have to say that I've had cats for 50 years or so, 30+ years in the same house and I never see any cat sh*t.
One of my old cats - Dave - was incredibly meticulous in ensuring the sh*t was buried (if I saw him, that is)
Begs the question why some cats can bury it and others don't bother.
I‘m guessing having cars yourself probably stops other cats pooing on your lawn. We had a cat for years, an ex-tom who was a bit of a bruiser, and we never had cat poo in our garden. Now he’s gone it’s a regular occurrence. Bit of a pain as one definitely has digestive problems. But end of the day, not much you can do about it.

The other factor is that a lot of gardens don’t have digable areas any more.

nw1

Established Member
Just a little bit militant, no?

I thought cats were very good at burying it, anyway.

gswindale

Having 3 cats here, they do tend to bury it except when trying to deal with the local "cat bullies" who want to take over our garden.

The worst thing about those bullies is that they tend to be rescued un-neutered toms who will take on anyone just for even looking at them from across the road.

We do also have a litter tray available at all times which one of the cats does prefer to use.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's quite an assortment of improvised deterrents being suggested on here. The one I've heard is orange peel. It seemed to work at my parents' old place for keeping our own cat away from freshly planted seedlings without making her want to up sticks and move away completely.

Obviously with something biodegradable such as orange peel you will need to replenish it quite frequently.

gg1

Established Member
I thought cats were very good at burying it, anyway.
Based on my experience of cat ownership it depends on the cat. Some are very fastidious about burying it, some make a half hearted attempt, others don't bother at all.

gswindale

Based on my experience of cat ownership it depends on the cat. Some are very fastidious about burying it, some make a half hearted attempt, others don't bother at all.
Indeed - when all of ours were inside cats, we'd have
1 scratch the litter tray and liner to pieces
1 half cover it up
1 leave it completely exposed

we've now just got the 1 leaving it exposed in the tray, whilst the other 2 do seem to bury it reasonably well in our garden.

The 1 using the tray did start going outside and not burying it in our raspberry patch in the height of the summer, but seems to have reverted back to indoors now the weather's getting worse again.

Lost property

I'll swap your cats for my badgers. Not only do they sh*t on the lawn, they also repeatedly dig up the lawn, bulbs and bedding plants.
These posts complaining about other species make " laugh"...physiology for all species means what goes in has to come out and thus far I've not seen any Armitage Shanks products designed for those species mentioned so far, humans being convinced others should behave like themselves.

However..about the badgers. This sounds like a classic "amazed and shocked !!" moment. Like those who move to a residence close to an airfield / railway / motorway only to suddenly discover the presence of such after they move in...same as countryside aroma's and working noise.

Are you one of the "you must come and see our delightful rural home and immaculate gardens sometime " brigade ?....you see, the badgers were probably there before you as local residents so you can't blame them for taking advantage of your arrival. Of course, you could do as others have done, "reach out " as they say, and feed them, be friendly and maybe the badgers will reciprocate as they seem to do.

gg1

Established Member
These posts complaining about other species make " laugh"...physiology for all species means what goes in has to come out and thus far I've not seen any Armitage Shanks products designed for those species mentioned so far, humans being convinced others should behave like themselves.

However..about the badgers. This sounds like a classic "amazed and shocked !!" moment. Like those who move to a residence close to an airfield / railway / motorway only to suddenly discover the presence of such after they move in...same as countryside aroma's and working noise.

Are you one of the "you must come and see our delightful rural home and immaculate gardens sometime " brigade ?....you see, the badgers were probably there before you as local residents so you can't blame them for taking advantage of your arrival. Of course, you could do as others have done, "reach out " as they say, and feed them, be friendly and maybe the badgers will reciprocate as they seem to do.

Quite a few assumptions you're making there, all of which are wrong.

The post was intended to be light hearted but I can see looking at it again it probably didn't read like that. I do actually like the fact we get visiting wildlife in the garden, granted I wish they didn't help out with the gardening to quite the degree that they do but I'd much rather have that than them not visit at all.

E27007

I think the worst aspect of the domestic cat is their killing instinct, I had two birds nest in my garden, the parents raised several chicks, as soon as the chicks fledged and began exploring the garden hedges, I found their bodies on the lawn, the neighbours cat killed them all in the space of a couple of days

Status
Not open for further replies.