• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught Using My Son's Oyster

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Does that means i will receive separate letter from the court? Or if tfl accepts my letter i will pay penalty instead?
TfL will almost certainly not settle out of court. This is one step before a summons or requisition will arrive for you informing you of the court date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Concerning the draft reply shown - I don't think referring to "carelessness" and "being ignorant of the law" is much help here. It wasn't a careless mistake, it was a deliberate use of a discount card belonging to someone else - the card was obviously not yours, and you're obviously not a child who's entitled to the child fares. It must be plain to anyone that that's not allowed. The only (slight) chance of not being prosecuted is to admit what's happened and be contrite enough that they're sure you won't do it again. But, as has been said, it's very very rare not to be prosecuted in a case like this.

island

Veteran Member
Does that means i will receive separate letter from the court? Or if tfl accepts my letter i will pay penalty instead?
The two possible outcomes are that you get summoned to court or you get off with a warning. There is just about never a scenario with TfL where you pay money (howsoever described) and not go to court.

shell07

Hello everyone, what is the difference of SJPN and Postal Requisition? In my case what is most likely I will received. What is the severity of both.. Im really dying here, I think anytime I might lose it

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hello everyone, what is the difference of SJPN and Postal Requisition? In my case what is most likely I will received. What is the severity of both.. Im really dying here, I think anytime I might lose it
A SJPN is simpler - it deals with one offence only and you can reply on paper and not have to attend.

A requisition is necessary if they detect other offences and you wish them to be taken into consideration - that is, you admit to travelling at other times using the card. Taking into consideration means the court will sentence you and apply for compensation for all the avoided fares but will deal with them all in one go, so the company can't come after you for other historic offences after the fact. You will normally need to attend if this is the case.

shell07

A SJPN is simpler - it deals with one offence only and you can reply on paper and not have to attend.

A requisition is necessary if they detect other offences and you wish them to be taken into consideration - that is, you admit to travelling at other times using the card. Taking into consideration means the court will sentence you and apply for compensation for all the avoided fares but will deal with them all in one go, so the company can't come after you for other historic offences after the fact. You will normally need to attend if this is the case.
Is there posibilty of going to jail?

shell07

No. For Bylaw offences (which TfL prosecute under) this is not an option. The disposal is a fine, linked to your income.
Sorry can you explain further I cannot understand.

No - means no jail time?
What do you mean by disposal is fine linked to income

No. For Bylaw offences (which TfL prosecute under) this is not an option. The disposal is a fine, linked to your income.
I understand now, this means there is no jail time if tfl prosecute through by laws? And the disposal of the case is a fine that will linked to my income and still I will get a criminal record?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I understand now, this means there is no jail time if tfl prosecute through by laws? And the disposal of the case is a fine that will linked to my income and still I will get a criminal record?
Yes, that is correct. The impact of that criminal record is something you can get help with with the charity Unlock, as the consequences of a criminal record vary for everyone. They have definitive guidance that will help you and be relevant to you.

shell07

Yes, that is correct. The impact of that criminal record is something you can get help with with the charity Unlock, as the consequences of a criminal record vary for everyone. They have definitive guidance that will help you and be relevant to
Yes, that is correct. The impact of that criminal record is something you can get help with with the charity Unlock, as the consequences of a criminal record vary for everyone. They have definitive guidance that will help you and be relevant to you.
is tfl 100% prosecute through by laws?

Pushpit

Sorry can you explain further I cannot understand.

No - means no jail time?
What do you mean by disposal is fine linked to income

I will just be a different voice here, just to hopefully put your mind at rest a little.

The very worst case scenario you will face is a criminal record and a fine, linked partly to your income. In addition to the fine, as a punishment, there is a victims' surcharge, court costs and TfL's costs. TfL will also seek to recover the fares that you did not pay. That may come to a lot of money, but the courts will allow you to pay it in instalments if you cannot afford to pay it all at once.

Though technically there is a possibility of going to jail, it just doesn't happen. Not right now when the prisons are full anyway, and not anytime. You will not go to prison at all. You just need to cooperate with the system.

That was the bad news. The better news is that this is a problem, but it's not the end of the world. It's a low level crime, you will have to accept the punishment and after a while you will be able to move on. So long as you don't act dishonestly again, all will be OK eventually.

In terms of visa advice, you will have read the forum's position on that. There is guidance on the issue on the website of a respected UK charity NACRO.

shell07

I will just be a different voice here, just to hopefully put your mind at rest a little.

The very worst case scenario you will face is a criminal record and a fine, linked partly to your income. In addition to the fine, as a punishment, there is a victims' surcharge, court costs and TfL's costs. TfL will also seek to recover the fares that you did not pay. That may come to a lot of money, but the courts will allow you to pay it in instalments if you cannot afford to pay it all at once.

Though technically there is a possibility of going to jail, it just doesn't happen. Not right now when the prisons are full anyway, and not anytime. You will not go to prison at all. You just need to cooperate with the system.

That was the bad news. The better news is that this is a problem, but it's not the end of the world. It's a low level crime, you will have to accept the punishment and after a while you will be able to move on. So long as you don't act dishonestly again, all will be OK eventually.

In terms of visa advice, you will have read the forum's position on that. There is guidance on the issue on the website of a respected UK charity NACRO.
This help me a lot. Thank you so much..

shell07

Hi, just asking if I could follow up TFL on this case? Send them email 2 weeks ago and havent received any response yet.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hi, just asking if I could follow up TFL on this case? Send them email 2 weeks ago and havent received any response yet.
It is not in your interests to remind them of your case. They have up to six months, and it is in your interests to hope they make an error or forget about the case somehow.

Don't say anything. Leave the matter alone, and don't do anything unless you receive correspondence from them.