• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caught without a ticket on a Thameslink train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missytjb_97

On 23rd January 2019, I left my university accomadtion to go back travel back to London for a couple of days. Before leaving I forgot to check the times for the coach so I instead went to get the train. I only had around £10 on my card. The barriers/gates were open so I walked through and boarded a late-night train to Gatwick airport from Luton station with the intention of getting off at London St Pancras. The train company was Thameslink.

About 15 minutes into the journey the inspectors came and asked for my ticket. I said I didn't have a ticket and the inspector and he said that i had the option to pay the pentaly fare which amounted to £32.something. I said that I couldn't pay it in full. The inspector said that I could pay part of it and then I would receive a letter in the post stating how to pay the rest. I said that I only had £10 on my card and was told that wouldn't be enough. The inspector proceeded to start completing some form.

He asked for my personal details so i gave him my provisional liscence and he said that i would receive a letter in the post. I asked how long would it take to come and he said that he wasn't sure. I asked if I could pay for the ticket as well as the fine at a later date as I knew I would be getting money at the end of the week. The inspector said no. I also asked what would happen as it was my first time boarding the train with no valid ticket and he said he wasn't sure.

I need some advice on what to do and what may happen. I'm worried that this might effect my degree as I'm currently a 2nd year student at university and the prospects of getting a job after university.

I have currently started to write a letter, stating how apologetic I am and if possible I would like to settle the matter out of courts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I need some advice on what to do and what may happen. I'm worried that this might effect my degree as I'm currently a 2nd year student at university and the prospects of getting a job after university.
Even in the worst realistic scenario (a prosecution under the Regulation of Railways Act) there isn't likely be an effect on your career prospects - the prosecution would be considered spent after 12 months and would only relevant if you were applying for jobs that involve a higher than normal degree of trust (e.g. working in the security services, or with vulnerable people).
I have currently started to write a letter, stating how apologetic I am and if possible I would like to settle the matter out of courts.
GTR are more likely to solve than some other TOCs so please post again once you've received their letter letting us know exactly what they are accusing you of and we'll help you draft a response.

island

Veteran Member
As you chose to travel without enough money to pay for your fare, the is likely to be interpreted as intent to avoid payment.

Luckily, Thameslink tend to be amenable to out of court settlements in this scenario assuming you’ve not come to their attention before for ticketing violations, but get saving as you’ll be unlikely to have change of £100.

nuts & bolts

You have stated that the Inspectors have taken details and not given any paperwork.

This would mean that they have not issued an Unpaid Fares Notice, a Conductor could have issued one for you to sign and be given a copy to post back with payment enclosed for the ticket price within 21 days to avoid escalation to prosecution!

So you need to look out for incoming mail from GTR and settle promptly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.