• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CBI vs MMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD1

Hi all after years of trying I have finally been called up to start my tests. Day 1 booked.
Now the dilemma after years of trying i have been invited by 2 different tocs. My biggest concern is the structured interview. One tock does mmi the other CBI.
I'm aware one overwrite the other. Does anyone know the difference between the 2 as not found alot about cbi.
2nd question I know we have 2 lives for each test but are the interviews classed as 2 separate tests? Or if you fail 1 CBI's and 1 mmi is that both lives gone?
Thank you all for any guidance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
They are both forms of 'structured interviews' this generally means that everyone is given the same set of interview questions to ensure complete fairness. The MMI is a required 'test' to become a Train Driver. This will form part of your two lives. The CBI may refer to a 'DMI' which is a Driver Managers Interview and typically uses the same structures interview format. The DMI can be 'failed' multiple times and does not form part of your two lives.

DunfordBridge

Hi all after years of trying I have finally been called up to start my tests. Day 1 booked.
Now the dilemma after years of trying i have been invited by 2 different tocs. My biggest concern is the structured interview. One tock does mmi the other CBI.
I'm aware one overwrite the other. Does anyone know the difference between the 2 as not found alot about cbi.
2nd question I know we have 2 lives for each test but are the interviews classed as 2 separate tests? Or if you fail 1 CBI's and 1 mmi is that both lives gone?

I am a bit puzzled about this thread because as far as I am concerned, the CBI (Criteria Based Interview??) is now obsolete, as I was amongst the last people to take part in the CBI (for the driver role at least), towards the end of the summer in 2013. You said you have got psychometric tests with two different operators, are they both for the role of train driver or is one of them testing for guards/conductors/train managers? There is not so much standardisation with the testing system for guards amongst different operators. Maybe Transpennine Express still use a shortened form of the CBI to test their conductor applicants.

As regards the driving role, I made quite a few notes about the old CBI. The MMI replaced it for drivers in 2013 and the key difference at the time seemed to be the addition of the question about doing a role or activity similar to that of a train driver. I think some of the MMI questions may have been re-phrased slightly over time, maybe in 2018 from what I can gather.

SD1

Hi it could be my explaining. After years of trying to get in after passing online tests (vse/sjts etc) I finally got an invite off avanti and then off another toc.
From the info I have been given if I pass stage 1 and get recalled to stage 2 avanti use the cbi where I believe everyone else uses mmi. (One will overwrite the other, so big decisions to make if I pass stage 1). I'm just unsure what the difference is and as they are both structured interviews if both count as a life or if you get 2 lifes for each interview.
Never called opc but will try tmrw to see if they cam advise. Just thought some one on here may know.

DunfordBridge

Hi it could be my explaining. After years of trying to get in after passing online tests (vse/sjts etc) I finally got an invite off avanti and then off another toc.
From the info I have been given if I pass stage 1 and get recalled to stage 2 avanti use the cbi where I believe everyone else uses mmi. (One will overwrite the other, so big decisions to make if I pass stage 1). I'm just unsure what the difference is and as they are both structured interviews if both count as a life or if you get 2 lifes for each interview.
Never called opc but will try tmrw to see if they cam advise. Just thought some one on here may know.

Avanti might be worth a call too just to seek clarification, I have never got any further than the paper sift with Avanti. Driver CBI and MMI both cover the same general areas however, such as rules, training, emergencies, etc. If you failed the structured interview with one operator, you would have to wait six months to take a second one with the same or any other operator.

T-Karmel

You are correct with CBI overwriting MMI, and MMI overwriting CBI. They are essentially the same interview, and there isn't much difference between them, I'm leaning towards statement they are completely the same interview.

For as far as my knowledge goes, Avanti is the only TOC using CBI and there's some FOCs left with CBI in their testing system.

As you know, you've got 2 lives. That counts towards all the tests, so whichever test, MMI or CBI you fail - that's your one life gone, and you only have one more left.

DMI is then a separate thing, which doesn't form part of psychometric testing and does not count towards your lives.

And yes, all three MMI, CBI and DMI are essentially competency based interviews, however CBI stands alone as a type of interview that forms part of psychometrics.

FManc

I’ve sat both the MMI (for VTEC, now LNER) and the CBI (for Avanti) and passed both. They were virtually the same - I can’t actually recall that many difference apart from the questions were worded differently but essentially looking for the same thing. As far as I’m aware Avanti are the only passenger TOC to use the CBI, with all the rest adopting the newer MMI. But yeah I didn’t notice a difference.

Emma2021

Can anyone remember how long you got for the written part before the interview and how many questions there were

iwasyoungonce

From what I remember the MMI sheet was only about 15 mins sorry it was a long time ago the box you write in is quite small so keep your writing small and legible.

Trainguy151

How did you get on with the CBI? I've got mine on Wednesday and any help and tips would be well received. I am just getting too hung up with the CBI's. Did you bullet point your written answers or a full paragraphs, and I hear it's only a small box to write in as it is?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.