• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CDF PAD Day Travelcard ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmartin

Hi, I see there is a travelcard ticket from cardiff (for now at least!). I'm just wondering does this have validity on the return train ticket for a month, or is it just a 'day return' style ticket? Basically, could I go to London from Cardiff, use the travel card portion of it the same day, then return the day after, or does all the travel have to be done in one day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A one day travelcard is exactly what it says it is - a day return to London with unlimited travel within Zones 1 to 6.

All travel completed on one day.

mrmartin

Ok, don't really know why anyone would buy this then. You save a couple of quid over oyster+super off peak day return, but lose all the return validity if your plans were to change or you got stuck.

miklcct

On Moderation
Ok, don't really know why anyone would buy this then. You save a couple of quid over oyster+super off peak day return, but lose all the return validity if your plans were to change or you got stuck.
It is, as the title says, for a day trip to London. It is very popular for people living in the South East but it is going to be scrapped.

mrmartin

It is, as the title says, for a day trip to London. It is very popular for people living in the South East but it is going to be scrapped.
yes, i know. The point I'm trying to make is that normally they are charged a few pounds over the _day_ return cost in the SE, not the period return cost, like this ticket. There isn't a CDF PAD day return, only a travelcard day return which is a few £ more than the _period_ return.

Was there previously a day return ticket from cardiff to london that has been scrapped but the travelcard variant was forgotten about? A cheaper day return would be great for me as I do it all the time for work, just curious about why this exists.

lnerazuma

yes, i know. The point I'm trying to make is that normally they are charged a few pounds over the _day_ return cost in the SE, not the period return cost, like this ticket. There isn't a CDF PAD day return, only a travelcard day return which is a few £ more than the _period_ return.

Was there previously a day return ticket from cardiff to london that has been scrapped but the travelcard variant was forgotten about? A cheaper day return would be great for me as I do it all the time for work, just curious about why this exists.
Monopoly influences the way systems operate. You should never moan before the Swindon's passengers complain.

The strategy and priority is to elevating the brand's prestige by making fares unaffordable for the ordinary passengers and running empty seats in and out of Paddington during peak hours. Everyone's here isn't the target customer.
The option of a day travelcard on this occasion is already a mercy on you compared to the option of two separate advance tickets, which each one is just a penny less than a flexible single.

kieron

Established Member
GWR sell day travelcards from every station from which they sell returns to London, except for bus links and Llansamlet.

Other train companies appear to use different criteria, but I do notice that no-one at all sells day travelcards from anywhere north of Brigg, even though there are some day return tickets to London from further north.

Status
Not open for further replies.