• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central Line alongside the M11 link road

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I spent a fair amount of time in Leytonstone and Leyton over Friday and Saturday and having stumbled across the stub which is all that remains of the infamous Claremont Road, it got me thinking: did the construction of the M11 link road cause any changes to the Central Line alignment? I'm really struggling to visualise the area before the road was built.

I note that the map on Wikipedia suggests that two of the infamous protest sites (Claremont Road and Filebrook Road) actually crossed over the tube line. Presumably the line was always in that cutting?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
I spent a fair amount of time in Leytonstone and Leyton over Friday and Saturday and having stumbled across the stub which is all that remains of the infamous Claremont Road, it got me thinking: did the construction of the M11 link road cause any changes to the Central Line alignment? I'm really struggling to visualise the area before the road was built.

I note that the map on Wikipedia suggests that two of the infamous protest sites (Claremont Road and Filebrook Road) actually crossed over the tube line. Presumably the line was always in that cutting?

The railway wasn't moved, although the link road did lead to the Whipps Cross Tunnel being heavily modified, and IIRC the loss of the eastern exit and footbridge at Leyton station was also indirectly related.

Status
Not open for further replies.