• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Central line usage predictions after Crossrail opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT 390

Established Member
I know the Core Central line service will have less pressure on it once Crossrail opens. as it runs a similar but faster service from Ealing to Stratford, but will the station usage on the Central line at places like Newbury Park drop with passengers switching to stations between Stratford and Romford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think it'll be a case of 'suck it and see'. Take Gants Hill vs Ilford. If you can currently get a seat on a train at GH, with it only having come from Hainault, sre you willing to sacrifice it for the risk of getting one at Ilford, with all those Brentwood/Harold Hill/ Romford passengers on board? Will partly depend where you live in relation to both stations, of course, and whether you require a bus to get to either. I don't think anyone knows, inc TfL, and it may not pan out quite as expected. That didn't stop TfL cutting the parallel 25 bus route recently at the central London end, which has presumably led to an increase in Central Line usage in the East London area just at a time when it should have been falling owing to Crossrail!

AM9

Veteran Member
I think it'll be a case of 'suck it and see'. Take Gants Hill vs Ilford. If you can currently get a seat on a train at GH, with it only having come from Hainault, sre you willing to sacrifice it for the risk of getting one at Ilford, with all those Brentwood/Harold Hill/ Romford passengers on board? Will partly depend where you live in relation to both stations, of course, and whether you require a bus to get to either. I don't think anyone knows, inc TfL, and it may not pan out quite as expected. That didn't stop TfL cutting the parallel 25 bus route recently at the central London end, which has presumably led to an increase in Central Line usage in the East London area just at a time when it should have been falling owing to Crossrail!
I would think that the majority of London-bound passengers who live north of the Central line route between Newbury park and Wanstead will stick with the tube especially if it loses some of the excess load. Getting from the A12 south to Ilford might get more difficult when the pull of the full Crossrail service kicks in. In addition, Gants Hill can take some time to cross in which time southbound passengers can be down on the platforms or even on a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.